Trimmer/Backpack Blower Mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Dec 6, 2004.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

What mix does everyone use in their 2 cycle equipment? I use the Stihl 2 cycle oil for trimmers and backpack blowers. Anybody have a specific preference? If so, what brand? Thanks!

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use No Smoke 2 Stroke in everything 2 cycle. Same mix for all...

3. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i use stihl on all my equipment. just wondering now if i can put stihl in a redmax 8001

4. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I would like to know the answer the same question you have bettergrass. I'm getting a Redmax 8000 before season starts and wanting to know if I can use the ol' Stihl 2cycle Oil. Anyone know? I don't want to have to make up 2 different mixes. Help!

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have Robin and Stihl 2 cycles, I use stihl and no smoke oil and have had good results. I dont own an 8000 red max but if it says 50:1 I would think the stihl oil would be fine. Most manufactures specify a ratio 50:1 or 40:1 or 32:1, and they recommend there own oil, but a doubt seriously if any make there own oil. It is just packaged under there label

6. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have the RedMax 50:1 2.5 Gal 2 cycle oil on sale for $.79ea w/ $7 flat shipping. Today is the last day! RedMax oil is Jaso Fc approved and will work in any 50:1 engine. www.wacolandscapesupply.com or 866-753-2622 toll free

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

We run Amsoil sythetic 2-cycle 100:1 in everything. Never had a problem, in fact we still use equipment 7-8 years old (still running strong). I dont care what the books say they all get 100:1 Amsoil. It saves money in mix in the long run too as we use less - not to mention longer engine life.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I use either Stihl or Echo 2 cycle oil (whatever is available at my local dealer) in all of my 2 cycle equipment. My mix is about 45:1. The books for all of my 2 cycle equipment say 50:1 but I do 45:1 to be safe. I have never had any problems with this oil at all!!

9. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I use stihl 2 mix in all of my trimmers and edgers. I just bought an echo backpack blower about 30 minutes ago and my dealer said to use the echo 2 mix in it or I could void the warranty. I guess I need to buy another gas can.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do business with a dealer who tells you to use a certain brand of oil or the warranty will be void. Go somewhere else to buy your equipment because he will probably tell you something else that isn't true.

Another thing to do is spend some time reading the operator's manual.

Use a good 50.1 oil (Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Husky or Red Max) or a 100.1 oil such as Optimol or Amsoil. If there is an internal warranty issue and the dealer blames the oil, ask him put it in writing with a full description of the damage plus the reason for the damage caused by the particular brand of oil. No dealer will do that.

If you fail to mix the oil properly, either too lean or too rich then that's your problem but a good quality oil properly mixed with a good grade of gas won't cause an engine to fail.