Trimmer / Blowers Lifespan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

For those that work Full long do you keep your trimmers and blowers? Do you have any set time on when to trash or get rid of your equipment and buy new?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I Try To Trade In Two Seasons Or Years Sometimes We Go Three.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

well we have 4 blowers, all shindawia 3 eb630's 2 of which ar prolly close to 7 years old, and still run fine, a new eb630, and a eb8510, so basically till they blow up and die.
  4. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I replace things when they stop working well. And I have some stihl stuff that I have used for 12 plus years. Echo's for eight.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I get five years out of Echo stuff using Echo oil and doing maintenance on them every 6 months. Maintenance includes the usual easy stuff and checks on crankshaft seal, ports clogged, complete clean out of carb, new ropes kind of stuff.
  6. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What brand are you using? And what do you do with the ones that you stop using?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Jeez only one season on ope.
  9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

It is according to how much they are used. I am happy to get a troublefree year out of weedeaters and 2 years out of blowers. Hedge trimmers vary. I use redmax and shindaiwa. However this year is not been good 2 of the new redmax 2300 lightweight trimmers and 2 shindaiwa t231 have been nothing but trouble. I tried to buy the lighter weight machines this year to help the fatigue on the guys in the high humidity.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have several pieces of equipment that get used daily, that's on their 8th full time season.
    i've bought and added other equipment, so they're not working as hard as they used to, but still get used everyday.
    the thing i go through the most is trimmers. my original Redmax trimmer lasted 5 full seasons..since then, i've been going through an echo trimmer about every year and a half. Just bought another Redmax.
    I still use my original Lawnboys every day, original redmax blower, Kees walk behind edger... all 8 seasons and still kicking.

answer your question though, for me... trimmers, 2-5 years, and blowers 8 years and counting.
    i work with my guys everyday. i'm sure if i left the guys alone, the life expectancy would go down on alot of the equipment.