Trimmer bump head life

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 19, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

What do you guys do?

Read up here one time someone used a but and bolt. Was wonder what size worked best? Maybe just a screw?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Not worth monkeying around with I just buy a new one every other year.

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Self tapping Screws is what I use. With the height of cut requirements on SA we can not bump on soft turf, so they are being bumped on concrete or other hard surfaces, so the self tapping screws have slowed down wear dramatically.

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I was kinda thinking the same thing.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Since I switched to all speed feeds they seem to lasting longer. U~turds barely made 6 months then punched out the button head. I teach the guys to use something besides the turf or cement . A curb, paver, tree root or something softer. The speed feeds also feed at idle. Something U~turds didn't seem to do. Did I mention I really like the speed feeds?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

What type of feed speed head you using? I tried Stihl's version and did not care for it much.

7. Patriot Services

The big Oregon model.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Have not done this but I have thought about it. We go through bump heads like underwear...far more than every other year...more like several times per season.

The thing I'm working on is a solution for the $14 wear plates on Stihl straight shaft edgers. I've welded armor on them and still wear them out . I'm in the process of have some manufactured that should eliminate this problem. It's nice to have a friend with a computer controlled water jet metal cutter and a full machine shop.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I use speed feeds as well. When the bottom wears out I just replace the bottom instead of buying a whole unit. I think I pay around $6 for a bottom.

10. Patriot Services

Which brand and model?
    Posted via Mobile Device