Trimmer Burns Arm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Countrymow, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Countrymow

Countrymow LawnSite Member

I started another thread that no one has replied to, so here is another try. I am contemplating taking back my brand new John Deere XT140 because the metal around the top of the shaft gets so hot. When I was trimming a bank, it got me several times. I just read a thread that some Stihls do the same thing. I had a Stihl FS55 and it never burned me. I have also used a Kawasaki and Echo extensively with no prolem with this. I would like some input from Stihl and JD owners.

Please help. I talked to the dealer today and plan to take it back tomorrow.

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

When I used to run Homelite, that was one of the problems I noticed.:) As far as Stihl, I have used 90's and 110's, and have never had a problem with either.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

my stihl fs80r has burned me before when i have been trimming for hours at the graveyard i maintain. it always burned me in the same spot, so i went and bought one of those little wrist sweat band things, and used that to stop the burn.
  4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

My dad holds his echo trimmer in a way that burns him so he uses an archery arm protector to keep him from getting burned.
  5. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

Yeah, I have an SRM-210 and I've noticed this to.
  6. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

I have a shindawa and I rest my forearm on it when I trim and it would burn me so I went a got a football forearm pad and it works great
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My FS80 actually burned and blistered me a few weeks ago. The blister from the burn was about an inch by 1/2 inch. I hold my trimmers left handed and I was used to my FS80 getting warm on my arm and reddening it a little but it was no biggy. This time I was trimming a ditch bank and after about 2 hours of that I looked at my arm and I was actually burned. So I took the trimmer home and set it on my garage floor to think about it's future as a working tool when I notice the trimmer head had rotated on the shaft. Then I saw the handle and throttle trimmer part had rotated too. It wasn't that those parts had rotated on the shaft but rather that the power head had rotated so the muffler was literally touching my arm. I turned the power head back to where it belongs and now it's back to just reddening my arm.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Echo has a guard that you can put on for this problem.....I am a little puzzled why this is a problem.....must be holding the unit wrong we run a bunch of units and no problem. I trimmed today for 4 hours in high temp and didn't notice ....need some arm strength to hold the unit further away.
  9. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yep.... i've never had a problem with the stihls that i've used... i've had the FS55, FS100 and i still own an FS250. the fs250's biggest problem is the choke location but the heat is never a prob with me. i recently bought an Echo SRM 261T and immediately put a guard on order but still havent gotten it yet. iv'e had a red spot on my forearm from it for weeks now. i had a small blister that came and went really fast but i still get burned on a daily basis.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed one time while running a friend of mines Echo trimmer that the spark plug boot is not well shielded. I took a couple of zaps to the fore arm before I decided no Echo for me