1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trimmer carb problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cariboulou, Jun 10, 2004.

1. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

is it possible that a walbro cardb on my stihl fs74 line trimmer could be putting out too much fuel? I was using it and it just died, i tested the coil and it has spark, and removed air filter but all I could get it to do was pop for a few seconds. i pulled out the spark plug and it was wet so I tried it and retried. Again, just a couple of pops like it almost wants to run but cant. Pulled plug out and it was wet again, I pulled handle a couple of times without plug and almost could see a mist coming from spark plug hole! I turned down low adjustment screw but still wet plug. I took carb apart and didnt see any tears in the gaskets or diaphrams and needle looks ok. Anybody have problems with walbro wt 227 carbs? Im stumped here in central fl.
  2. chuckscar

chuckscar LawnSite Member

yes if check valve goes bad, you can get to much fuel not worth replacing, but good new most stihl carb you have to get from stihl because sthil buys the rights to most for their carbs, but you r in luck wt-227-1 is available from walbor list price $ 39.44

are price is $29.58 limited time
  3. Brandon Heltzel

Brandon Heltzel LawnSite Member

If you go on Ebay you can get a carb for about $10. I don't think you will find a Wt-227 but I have bought a Wt-343 for $14 shipped and it works great. I opened it up and the gaskets were in great shape, I just got some carb cleaner and cleaned it (just in case).
  4. cariboulou

thanks guys,
    actually bought a gasket kit this morn and after i installed the top diaphram wrong then correct it seems to work out. Could one of the diaphrams be letting too much fuel in the chamber? the old on looks good no tear or holes but this new kit seems to have worked out.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Just because it not torn doesn,t mean its good they get stiff after a while and witch results in a flooded fuel system.
  6. Buzzman

Buzzman LawnSite Member

I new here... and to fixin lawn stuff (used to work on Harleys), but I'm gonna try that tomorrow... I hope it works for me too? Got gas, spark, took it apart, cleaned it, looked at diaphragm, no holes, doesn't seem to be stiff, but it does have little indentions in it (?), so I'm gonna give it shot.
    Thanks folks!
  7. cariboulou

just be sure you put diaphram and gaskets in right order. On one side of the carb it goes diaphram then gasket then cover. the other side goes gasket thendiaphram in the right way! Just copy the way it comes out and you should be ok.
  8. Buzzman

Buzzman LawnSite Member

Thanks, Lou! I'll let ya know how it works for me.
  9. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Also check the inlet needle. There may be dirt between the needle and seat. The needle is also adjustable by bending the tang. Make sure it is adjusted properly otherwise you can get either too much fuel or not enough fuel.