Trimmer Conversion: Stihl FS80R to FS85R

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluegrass Landscaping, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Bluegrass Landscaping

Bluegrass Landscaping LawnSite Member

I just recently picked up a used (in nearly new-condition) FS80R and would like to replace the flex cable shaft with a solid drive shaft, which is found in the FS85R (see exploded diagram below). For those familiar with this modification, may you please provide some insight on the specific parts required and the installation procedure. Thank you in advance.

(1) Is the process as simple as removing the gear head assembly and simply pulling the cable shaft out and inserting the solid shaft? What about lubrication; does the trimmer tube need to be re-lubricated prior to installation and, if so, what type grease is recommended?

(2) Do I need to replace the "flexible liner" (#8) along with the "solid drive shaft" (#7)?

Attached Files:

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Run the flex till it breaks which may be never They are tough as hell. I believe its just the shaft.
  3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I believe that is a J Thomas catalog you have there DO NOT order from them I would go OEM if the dealer is too high try ebay but dont go aftermarket on a drive cable
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I use many attatchments on my 80's and Fs 100rx's. Never ever broke a cable. Don't bother switching shafts.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I've got an old FS55 with a cable drive and tiller attachment, never broke or give problems. Everyone at the dealership said that it wouldn't work, but it is plenty of power and is only a problem on tree roots. I usually use it to mix soil and compost in my wheel barrow.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, everything else on these can and will break, but not the shaft.