Trimmer Covers For Open Trailers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Apr 7, 2007.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Pro wrap has a nice trimmer cover but no dealer on line or in our state. Does anyone know where I can get a cover for trimmers. When I am driving in the rain they get too much water into them and they sometimes leak gas an both would be addressed with a cover.

2. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

W.E. Chapps makes very good covers and bags. We've used them without any issues whatsoever. They're strong and durable. Search for them on the web. I believe their site is wechapps.com . They'll send you a catalog overnight if needed or you can order online. I don't think you'll find covers and bags anywhere better or cheaper.
    Good luck,

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

WE Chapps has real good stuff, and fast delivery in my experience, but I'm not far from them. Got caught in a storm last summer that was almost a wall of water and had to take the carbs off the trimmers to heat them and dry them out. Also got covers for the engines on the 21 and wb because I didn't have much arm left when they finally started.

4. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

Yet another great tid-bit of information on Lawnsite...Thanx. I'm ordering some today...I've been gone too long.:sleeping:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are only joking, right? Since when has rain EVER hurt a trimmer? I don't know...25 years later, and I've never heard anyone say great trimmer, but it has been rained on a few times. As far as the gas issue....I would be looking into either (a) a new gas cap or rubber seals for the caps, or (b) some way to secure the trimmers so they don't move, roll around, an/or get beat half to death while going down the road. On my trimmer racks, the trimmers are mounted snug and securely in rubber, and bungy straps run through the handles to hold them upright.

6. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ah runner, thats too funny . lol

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It isn't that it hurts them.....but last week we worked all day in the rain and water would get into the filters and made them hard/difficult to start at each new site. Not only was I wet but now I am in the blinding rain trying to get equipment going for everybody. And scag ZTR units don't have water proof wiring connector on fuses and sometimes when they get wet they short. I am not a big believer in water not hurting anything...hence I don't ever wash my stuff.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of trimmers? My Huskies start up right after driving in a very heavy rain. Maybe there is something you can do to your trimmers and scags to kinda waterproof them? I used to believe that water didn't hurt anything but last year i replaced two stators on two ztrs, which I think was damaged due to water. Dealer said that water didn't cause them to go out but I find it odd that it happened rgiht after i washed them.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is all Echo or Stihl stuff....water gets into the filters and then depending on how they sit in the rack it can run into the cyclinder when you pull start. So on heavy rain days I started covering stuff with trash bags, just wanted something a little more profession looking. Water gets into all the harness electrical connection points that a usually full with dust/grass and that can cause problems as well over the long haul. In general I keep everything dry when parked at home but in blinding rain storms it is different.

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl makes nice covers. That's what I use.