trimmer debris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buffalo1, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Buffalo1

Buffalo1 LawnSite Member

I've used the search and can't find an answer to this problem.....I use an Echo trimmer.....the string rotates in a counter-clockwise direction......my left pant leg ends up covered with grass and grass juice after about 30-45 min of trimming.....I wear long pants primarily for this reason......here in Texas it gets "Hot as H___" in the summer (in the 90's today).....is there anything I can do with my trimming technique or whatever that will allow me to wear shorts and not end up looking like the Jolly Green Giant at the end of the day?

2. BO-TY

BO-TY LawnSite Member

I have the same problem being right handed my let leg is closest to the head it would be nice if you could get that turned either direction for righty's or lefty's cause it works best with my echo's to trim around things clockwise it throws the grass away but this direction is backwards for a righty.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time you trim stop for a moment and examine the way you position the trimmer head. I imagine that the head is to your left slightly ahead of you, thereby throwing all debris toward your left leg. Now try trimming with the head to your left but "behind" you instead of in front of you. Most, if not all debris will be now thrown behind your left leg and you'll stay much cleaner. It may be a little ackward at first but you'll get the hang of it. Believe it or not I learned this little trick from a manual tht came with one of my trimmers many years ago. It's something that almost everyone ignores in the manuals thinking that they already know how to use something so simple as a string trimmer.

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

:) Thats why I use Homelite,head spins clockwise and all the debris is tossed out front of you,I got sick of coming home covered in grass and battered by stones and trimming walking backwards.Now trimmings a breeze...........

strim.gif

5. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

CALLING BUSHHOGBOY!

This sounds like a chance to use your super fabricating powers to invent something.

I'm only half joking. If anyone can do it, it's him.

Sounds like you got two options. 1 - get a Homelite that spins the other direction. 2 - send your clippings into the beds.

I can't say I like your choices.

Good Luck , Landscraper

6. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Hey BigJim,

Shame on you for sneaking your post in while I was typing mine.

7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I believe my Echo GT2400 also spins clockwise. The SRM2400 spins counter clock wise:cool:

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Buffalo - I also like to wear shorts when it's hot, so here's what I do. I just put on a pair of gaiters when trimming. They are made for hiking and skiing to keep snow and debris out of your boots. They are usually made of nylon and have a strap for under your shoes/boots and are a split tube design with either a zipper or velcro. They look a bit silly off the slopes and trails but do the job. I was thinking of buying some pants with zip off legs and see how they work. Campmor sells both of these items, as would any good hiking/camping retailer such as LL Bean.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Probally a dumb question but... does anyone know why some trimmers spin clockwise and some spin counter-clockwise?

10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

In answer to the last question on clock wise or counter clock wise. It has been my experience that clock wise is a home owner model, and counter is commercial grade. I am sure this will raise a rucus. :D

My Redmax trimmers run the same way. Counter clock wise. I just deal with it. In my dry climate by the time I get done mowing, the grass has all dried and brushes off easily before I get in the truck. I wear long pants all the time, (don't own a pair of shorts). And yes it gets very hot here at times. Two reasons I don't wear shorts, one is I hate getting my legs sand blasted, and the other is I don't think it looks professional. But that is my opinion, I am not trying to push that one on any body else. (Unless you want to work for me, then it is long pants only.)