trimmer direction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by traman, Jan 20, 2005.

1. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

does anyone know y all pro trimmers turn counter clockwise , almost everybody is right handed wouldnt it be better if thay turned clock wise i have tried several times to used my left hand for the throttle but never can get use to it thanks all

2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

by turning counter clockwise it throws the clippings and debri away from you and helps keep it off the concrete.
    spinning clockwise it would throw the grass all over your legs and the concrete more mess to blow off.

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure I agree with that, but I've never used a trimmer that rotated clockwise, so who knows? On the other hand, my legs DO end up with grass all over them by day's end, so how different could a trimmer that rotates clockwise really be?

Have you tried a clockwise trimmer? If not, how do you know?

4. wissel_landscaping

from ohio

yes i have used one that spins clockwise (old ryobi) if i hadnt i wouldnt have posted.
    i weedeat across my body to the left (the head of the weedeater is on my left side throwing the clippings into the grass) when it spins clockwise it will throw the grass back at you, i can weedeat all day with minimal grass on my legs. call any manufacturer echo,redmax,shin,stihl and ask them why the head spins counter clockwise? because it throws the debri away from the operator.

5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

That doesn't make any sense. It works for you because of the way you hold the trimmer. But if you held it the opposite way it would throw debris on you. So what's the difference if it spins counter-clockwise with the way you hold it vs. clockwise and holding it the opposite way?

6. wissel_landscaping

from ohio

the opposite way would be across your body to the right spinning counter clockwise its still throwing away from you. weedeat in front of you its still throwing away from you, any which way you weedeat spinning counter clockwise will throw it away from you.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I'd have to try it both ways to be sure, but I understand the question. The way I hold a trimmer is pretty much the same way everyone else does, one would guess: I hold it across my body with the head out to my left side. Sometimes it's at a 90-degree angle, but often there are more like 135 degrees between me and the point where the trimmer line hits the grass.

The reason I'm tempted to think that a clockwise-rotating trimmer head would cut down on the amount of grass hitting my legs is that if the counter-clockwise rotation gives me only 90 to 135 degrees of buffer (whatever the number, it's certainly less than 180 degrees), the reverse rotation would give me 225 to 270 degrees of buffer. My impression is that this would reduce the amount of crapola hitting me while trimming.

That's how it seems to me, anyway. Wissel, I'm not saying you're wrong about all this, but your explanation doesn't really support your contention that counter-clockwise is less messy. Can you clarify?

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Good thread - I use bent shaft trimmers just because they do turn clockwise. I have the straight shaft trimmer too, but with it turning counter clockwise, I can't get used to switching hands, so I have to walk backwards when trimming to have the string throw the grass in the right direction, and spin in the right direction to lift the grass away from sidewalks and curbs, etc. With the clockwise bent shaft I can walk forward, and trim so much faster. The only problem is that they do not have as big of engines, but I do not have massive amounts of grass to trim anyway, so the bent shaft works just fine. Thanks Brad

9. wissel_landscaping

from ohio

I weedeat the same as you while walking on the concrete,
    try weedeating while walking in the grass and walking backwards and see how much crap gets thrown at you, it would like walking on the concrete but with the head spinning clockwise. when i used to use the old ryobi around my house i would get covered with grass and when i bought my echo and the dealer preped it while it was running i said the head spins the opposite direction he said yes that way it throws the debri away from you. maybe i'm just used to it. my clarafication would be based on experience one was messy and one wasnt...lol

now those bent shafts i cannot weedeat with those i look like a amature missed spots, scalping.