Trimmer/edger combo or stand alone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frosty Top, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you not read my post, if you only need an 8' to 9' pole, the manual pole saw is the way to go because it is very easy to cut. It is the tall one that is the kicker. I did a lot of research on this pole saw thing, and I end up buying an electric one that is 10' and only $90 because it is not worthy to buy a long one for a few times a year, and not even worthy to get the attachment type because it is short. The manual pole saw is a lot quicker than people think. I cut up to 4" branches. It is just not working out if you have to be on the stepper and you need the leverage to saw the branch.

2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I have Echo equipment. The PAS 260 (2) & a 265 Powerheads and 3 trimmer attachments and eadging attachment. I've been running the 260s for the last 8 years and wouldn't use anything else. I expanded, running a 3 man crew sometimes and a solo and 2 man crew at other times and added the 265. The old 260s took a lot of abuse doing a cemetary for 3 years. They still run as strong as ever. Suggest you check the PAS units out at an Echo dealer (not HD because they won't have them).

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh... The Remington. I have one up in the attic.

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it's a McGlough or something. I just got it on sale. I was really labor for a long and finally decided not to spend much money on something I use so little.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I habe the KM130 and several attachments and I love it...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a big fan of the stand alone units. only for the simple fact, if you have all these combi units, only one is working at any given time. IE...while you are trimming...no one can edge, or trim shrubs or use the gas powered pole pruner. Plus the power unit is always being used. Think about all the hours you use each separate tool, all of those engine hours are now being transferred to ONE engine...

Now if you plan on staying small/solo and never having employee's its fine...

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

^^Untrue^^ It can be useful as an addition to stand alone units.

If you have a dedicated mowing crew that may need a hedge trimmer, pole saw or edger (some areas use the string trimmers for that) on occasion. Also it serves as a backup string trimmer. A combi unit is an excellent addition to a mowing only crew that does not use those extra pieces of equipment regularly.

If you use the equipment as a main tool, then no, a combi unit would not be effective.

8. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious to know what Frostytop is getting from this information, and any other research he's done and which way he's leaning.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

ideal mow crew set up IMO...mower of choice (52" in my case) back pack blower, string trimmer and stick edger...good solid residential crew 3 man set up...

Hand pruners, hand saw , and a telescoping pole saw(non gas powered) I can spend 150 bucks on nice hand tools to do the same stuff for the "occasional" work... that a mow only crew might encounter.

10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimmer and edger need to be dedicated units. If you have a need for a hedge trimmer or the other attachments on an occaisional basis then the combo units might be worth it. Like mslawn said, it could also be used as a backup trimmer as needed.
    But on the other hand, if you are just a mow and blow operation and use these attachments once or twice a year, it may not be worth it. You could get away with hand tools for alot less money. Marcsmith and mslawn have differing views, but both have valid points.