Trimmer/Edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tturfcare, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Tturfcare

Tturfcare LawnSite Member

I have a couple questions about the two cycle industry. I am looking into buying a new trimmer. I have a SRM 210 Echo right now but its showing its age. Any advice on which i should get.... Echo, Stihl, Redmax

Also does having a edger save you guys a lot of time?

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

100% hands down for Stihl - I like the FS80 and FS90 ....If you have a good Stihl dealer pretty close - go for it. Good luck bud.

Jason

3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody has their favorites. If others will be using it then find something durable. Some units have loose cables that can snag on stuff. Some have flimsy throttle levers that can catch on, well, loose cables on other trimmers. Exposed plug wires, air filter covers that just "snap" on and small fuel tanks are things I try to avoid.
    If you are the only one using it then these things matter less because you will treat it nice.
    I also believe its best to find a good dealer first. Even the best trimmer is worthless if your dealer won't give you a loaner.

Scott

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I like ECHO....but try several and buy what you like and what your local dealer sells and services.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There are very few straight two stroke engines left.....I would stick with Echo and buy before they go to the one ring design...new stuff has a high faiure rate for awhile.

6. Tturfcare

Tturfcare LawnSite Member

hey a guy told me that stihl is going to discontinue they fs 80

7. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

shindaiwa 100% hands down !!!!!!!!!cant go wrong with shindy's!!!!!!!!

8. DiGGz

DiGGz LawnSite Member

I must agree. My Sthils had trigger and carb issues constantly after half a season. I went with shindaiwa 261 models for my trimmer and edger and they have been perfect. Real strong and quick to start.

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

shindiawa is the only way to go.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think that is the only one left that they have tinkered with........no good reports come out of our local dealer on Shindawaw--T270 was the last good unit they built.