Trimmer Gards

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Lynch Landscaping, Apr 23, 2006.

Do you take of your trimmer gard or keep it on?

1. ON

126 vote(s)
  2. OFF

92 vote(s)
  1. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Just wondering if you keep on or take your trimmer Gards?
  2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I keep mine on but thats just me.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

mine stay on, no reason for me to take them off
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen some with them off and can't imagine why. Never considered taking mine off.
  5. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

I agree. I don't see any advantages. Certainly nothing worth risking injury.
  6. OGM_Mows

OGM_Mows LawnSite Member

I take mine off for a couple reasons. The first is that it allows a longer string length increasing efficiency. It also slows down the revolution of the trimmer head reducing scalping, etc. It means that you can use the backside of the string to trim too. So you can trim around rocks without having to move. I occasionally get hit with stuff, but very rarely since the head is spinning so much slower.

My dealer says that it burns out the clutch faster, but my clutch is going on 10 years now.
  7. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I take mine off. Less weight, easier to maneuver, and, you can let out a lot more line. I also always asked myself why anyone would take off the trimmer guard but after trying it I would never go back.
  8. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

i leave mine on, i have employees don't want to be sued for negligence of personal safety, manufacturer tells me to leave it on for safety it stays on.
  9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I take mine off because we do a LOT of work on steep banks and the guards are REALLY in the way on any slope.
  10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Keep them on.

Do you go around taking the seat belts and front and rear bumpers off of your work trucks too?