Trimmer gaurd removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alot2lurn, Sep 28, 2006.

1. alot2lurn

alot2lurn LawnSite Member

I took my gaurd of my Stihl trimmer today,I see why a lot of others do it now.I know it is harder on the trimmers clutch and it's gonna smart when I thwack my ankle but I did'nt really notice an increase in flying debris and it is a lot more productive.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Good......

3. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

Not sure why, does it spin faster? I see them off all the time, always kept mine on.....broke an expesive window with tiny pebble sent flying, even with the guard on, so I'd think it could get dangerous with it off, like send small stone much further could hurt someone. You put out a kid's eye with that and guess what, it's not just medical & suffering damages but they may try for punitive as well, that's where your insurance may dump you or even be able to exclude paying that portion, now you're looking at losing your house maybe. I don't know, I think you should ask your attorney. I can see an argument for negligence on your part for clearly violating safety rule clearly marked on equipment. that's why they put all those warnings on stuff, so you can't win suit against manufacturer, but you take it off, now you assume potential liability for contributory negligence....something to think about..

4. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Never thought of that legal angle before. You might have a good point there.
    But I sure like the guard off better.

5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I take the guards off mine before I use them for the very first time. They are useless for me....

6. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

I honestly don't know how much difference it makes in safety, but after you take out a window and pay for it just edging a sidewalk 15 ft away, it makes you give serious thought to where little bits of stone, this was a tiny pebble in the dirt, can fly and who, not so much what, they could hit. I look around now and think of direction it's gonna throw something especially when there are kids outside.

7. alot2lurn

alot2lurn LawnSite Member

I took mine off because I have a large property ( 3.5 acres ) with a ton of large ( I guess ) limestone formations growing up out of the ground . Some are 100 feet or so long and impossible to mow between . With my guard off I can let out 6 - 8 inches more line 3- 4 on each side , I can trimming this property much quicker.I considered the liability but it's in a rural area and very little of it is near the house.

8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on guys, anyone with common sence can look at the little guard they install on weedwackers these days and will come to the conclusion that the guard isn't guarding anything. It is merely a way to keep the string trimmed from getting bumped out too far and burning the clutch up. Use them if you want, but I honestly don't think they are going to make a difference as far as chucking rocks and debris goes

9. CAROLINA MOWER

CAROLINA MOWER LawnSite Member

Becareful, It Voids Mfg. Warranty, Burns The Clutch And Gear Box Up

10. tims lawncare

tims lawncare LawnSite Member
    from flrida

I took my guard off my trimmers, my seatbelt, rops, chute guard, and arm wrests off my kubota zg 20. all that junk just slows things down and gets in the way.