Trimmer guard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hardy Enterprises, Apr 18, 2000.

1. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if most leave the guard on their trimmer or remove it? I know around here almost all the commercial cutters remove the guard. I have always left my guards on, but today I took my guard off just to see how I liked it. I was amazed at how much lighter and easier it was to handle. What does everybody else do?<p>Jay

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I leave mine on, never tried it without it in place. I have enough crap hit me all day without inviting more! Did it increase the # of &quot;hits&quot; ?<p>Homer

3. VWBug61083

VWBug61083 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

The first thing I do when I buy a new trimmer is remove the guard. The guard cuts off the end of the string, and it also lighter. I do reccomend wearing some protective lenses or sunglasses.

4. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i take mine off i like to keep my string real long i can cover alot of area like that and when you get hit with a rock just smile real big and work harder, its no big deal, <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

5. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I'VE REMOVED ALL OF MY GUARDS,BUT WAS THINKIN' OF REPLACING THEM WITH SOMETHING ELSE.I WEEDEAT A MARINA AND PULLING FISH BONES OUT OF YOUR LEG IS NO FUN.NOT TO MENTION THE OCCASIONAL CACTUS!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We take ours off, but wear safety glasses. All I can see that they do is cut the string and make it heavier. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

we also take ours off, but be careful by taking off the guard it voids the warranty for some companies.

8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I took one off and left one on.I left one on so when i edge and stuff with it i don't get rocks and dirt in my face and on the other trimmer i took it off. without the guard it's easier to get around trees and fence posts without walking all the way around. but watch that you don't use to much line at one time or you will kill the engine. or if your stings are two different sizes you will put it off balance.

9. TurfMan

TurfMan LawnSite Member

I take them off right out of the box, IT is much fater to trim around trees without the guards, Your going to take some hits on the legs without out the guard, But you will walk less, And do wear eye protection, Plus your string can be longer to cover more area.