1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer guards

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by STIHL GUY, May 9, 2009.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

who here uses the trimmer guards?
    i have always used mine but today i
    tried without it and it was soo much
    lighter. The guard is behind the trimmer
    so it seems like it only stops rocks and
    such from hitting the opperator because
    with the guard on rocks still fly in all
    other directions. So what im asking is
    who here uses the guards or doesnt
    use them and why?
  2. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

You've asked and answered your own ? the other part is you can see better what your trimming.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I keep them on because they keep some stuff from hitting myself and employees and because if an employee loses an eye at least I can say that I had the proper safeties in place for insurance reasons. Last but not least I believe if you take it off the string can get to long causing extra wear on the engine. Just some of my thoughts.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very very true, beyond the already mentioned safety issues. Removing the guard is a direct cause for many trimmer issues. Allowing the line to be run longer then the engine was designed to handle. This means that the engine rpm's and temps are not were they need to be to burn the oil/fuel mixture properly in turn you get carbon build up. When you run full throttle and the lines are too long this makes the clutch slip in the clutch drum creating premature wear @ the clutch and drum. As the clutch shoes and drum wear the shoes have to open further to make contact putting strain on the spring and this will usually end with the breakage of the spring. Worse case is stripped driveshaft @ either the drum or gear head and even further the stress of the excess load can strip the gears inside the gear head itself and most brands the gear head can be in excess of $100.00
  5. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I took my trimmer guard off for one day and thought it really sucked, I got cut up real bad

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I said. Ha Ha :laugh: I knew it wasn't good....just didn't know the technicalities.
  7. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

trimmer guards? Ohhhh those plastic things that come on the trimmers?

I used them a couple times, and stuff still hits you in the face and legs. Safety glasses block a lot.
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Clutches are cheaper than labor. Guards off for us, as long as the line doesn't get too long the trimmers will last and have only minimal extra wear.
  9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I keep mine on, not for safety or any other concerns. But I just don't have the need to take it off. It never gives me any troubles or anything like that so I just leave it on
  10. land_scaper70

land_scaper70 LawnSite Member

Off for our outfit. I have an account who is lawyer, he has asked about it a couple of times, also complained that the weeds were growing out from under the stairs on his deck. I asked which it was, weeds or safety, his reply, "my weeds your business". Off makes it so much easier to get into those tight places, also you do not have to walk a the way around the tree to get all the grass.