Trimmer guards

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by STIHL GUY, May 9, 2009.

1. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I leave mine on. Keeps debris from hitting you or other things on the property. I always wear goggles when trimming. I like to keep short line anyway.

2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Mine stay on and never come off. It helps when I have to trim or edge in a certain direction and don't want the debris going in the other direction.

3. beegreenlandcare

beegreenlandcare LawnSite Member

I can't understand how people can run w/o them. Its a huge liability. IF you ever have an "issue" w/ OSHA you can bet they WILL look for all guards being in place on not only mowers, but trimmers and everything else. Whether u get a citation or not for those guards being in place, it will not shine favorably upon u.
    I run w/ 'em on!

4. just4funthen

just4funthen LawnSite Member

Whatever MowerMedic77 lol, I run both of my Stihls w/o guards for better control and longer line feeds. I have a line span of 20" or more while I trim. Makes trimming large areas easy and faster, trims turns and curves fast and makes it faster for the mowers to make a perimeter pass. When I buy new trimmers I take the guard off before I leave the store!! The guard keeps the line so short its pathetic! For all you worried about getting hit in the eye, then wear sunglasses! I went all year with shorts and trimmed, sure my legs got nicked up but grow some balls people. They are minor scratches!! People that trim with guards on and/or line thats about 2 inches long just make me laugh at them. Plus, the only reason why rocks and dirt shoot at you is cause you hit the ground. Meaning you scapled the grass and thats is not professional quality now is it?

5. barlowlawncare

barlowlawncare LawnSite Member

I agree gaurds def off! you can use the whole head to cut, otherwise u have to walk around everything, and if you use your trimmer as an edger as most of us do, the gaurds are just annoying. If you have been using a trimmer for any amount of time you should be able to hear and feel when your line is two long, it happens sometimes i over bump but i keep a leatherman on my side at all times and quickly snip off an inch or so and keep goin. Even with guards you will gaurds u will get hit with stones and whatever so wear long pant and safety glasses and get ur jobs done faster without gaurds, cause in the end thats what matters. you can be at home nursing your wounds or out working for extra hrs id rather be home

6. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto for me too...I don't find it getting in the way of anything in particular...so...it stays on.:drinkup:

7. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I heard OSHA will hit ya with a $250 fine per trimmer if it doesn't have a gaurd, $500 per mower. I had mine off on my new 2401 Red Max and the head went out in a year. So I went to buy a new one...$140 and a new trimmer was $280. Luckily I put the gaurd back on before we got there and the issue ended up being under warranty. Just my experience....

8. offroadrider12

offroadrider12 LawnSite Member

My guard on my RedMax BC225 seems perfect. The FS110 I have I made a 3" spacer out of some steel scraps that pushes the guard back another 3" for some extra line.

9. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I cut with my guards off for three reasons. 1. It makes it lighter 2. It uses less line because it does not get cut off 3. I still got hit with rocks when it was on my trimmers

10. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I now run my shiny with no gaurs and the rmax with a gaurd I perfer the shiny when in a hurry thats for sure