Trimmer guards

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by STIHL GUY, May 9, 2009.

1. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I completely agree with this!!!

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

yep something to tell your insurance company when you put out the eye of the little girl getting off the school bus... if you even have it.

3. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

that makes no sense. the guards on an echo are what 5 inches across, if i am weedeating the guard is directlly towards me so everything else is open, if i am edging with it its straight up, so i guess the sun wont get hit with something. o brother.:rolleyes:

4. ochosdaddy

ochosdaddy LawnSite Member

I like the guard size on Stihl FS80-90 trimmers. Large enough it works, small enough you still see what you're trimming. By no means would I consider myself a slow trimmer....quite the opposite. Coarse I also edge with trimmers, so nice to have that guard in place.

Now perhaps I can understand removing large monstrous guards that cover more than 40% of the line that resemble a half a Frisbee. I also find those dinky Echo guards to be worthless, however, most Echo products are to begin with. ;)

I leave them on.....after all, they're on there for a reason.

5. TroyLawnService

TroyLawnService LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

It's no guard for me.

6. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I gotta ask how much do you break that you average 15k at a single shop every year?

7. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

I leave mine on.

8. mrlandscaper

mrlandscaper LawnSite Member

Im surprised no one has mentioned the Edge - It yet. I have an edge - it on my current echo. I love them. They also can be used as a blower if you need to blow a sidewalk off right quick. I will be getting more in the future.

9. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

I keep the guard on and now I wear eye protection... almost lost an eye. The eye protection doesn't look great, but they do work.

10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldn't matter if you have the guard on or off,Safety glasses should be worn all the time with trimmers.