trimmer has no power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, Aug 9, 2004.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hi. I have a husqvarna 322l trimmer. This thing has served me well for years but now has no power. It can barely spin fast enough to trim grass. I checked the exhaust, checked the fuel filter, the trimmer head turns easily, replaced the plug, and still haven't fixed the problem. Any ideas. I know it's not that expensive to replace, but i think it has more life left in it.
    Thanks,

Scott

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sounds as if the gears in the head have worn out. Happened to me this summer

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

check the clutch.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Was the loss of power gradual or sudden?

5. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

You said you had check the exhaust but did you check and see if the spark arestor was stopped up. We had the same problem with all of ours after time and the screen was stopped up. You can remove by removing the screws at the exit hole. Check and see if this is the problem if it does not rev up easy. Later

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

With my Shindaiwas, I cleaned the spark arrestor, didn't help. Then I removed the muffler, there's a hole between the muffler and the inside of the trimmer's engine (very technical terms, no?) that gets a build-up of carbon. Mine was clogged almost completely. Just scrape the carbon off with something soft like a pencil. That should restore the power.

7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

You said you checked the exhaust. How? I Have a 322 . After a couple of years the passages inside will carbon up the only fix is pry open the muffler(and weld backwhen thruogh cleaning) or replace the muffler. The easiest way to check for a clogged muffler is remove it and start the trimmer. If it sounds healthy and has power, the muffler is the trouble.

8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

This is in adition to the obvious spark arrestor screen, forgot to mention it. I'm sure you've already checked it.and tossed it.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If it's running fine but not spinning, it's probably the clutch.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have never had a clutch cause it not to spin when they go out , but the opposite, the shoes wear until the spring breaks and then the clutch fails to disengage.

As far as your power problem, first I would pull the muffler and check the cylinder and piston for scratches, gouges, and decoke the port and muffler as others have mentioned. New plug, new fuel filter and if this does not cure I would look at air/fuel ratio, i.e. crap in the carb or diaphram not supplying enough fuel. Also make sure the throttle is in fact opening the throttle all the way.