Trimmer head spin rotation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, May 15, 2006.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a old trimmer that spins the line clockwise. I also have 2 stihl trimmers that spin the line counter clockwise. I find my 2 stihl trimmers are slower to work because of the way the line spins on the head. I am looking at getting a new trimmer soon. Anybody know of a commercial quality trimmer that the line spins in the clockwise rotation.

2. MR HYDROSEED

MR HYDROSEED LawnSite Member

i bought a kawasaki 33cc trimmer last year and still haven't gotten used to it. i had a ryobi 4 stroke before it and could practically run and trim at the same time. it seems like the commercial trimmers are meant for only left handers?

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

If the head spins counterclockwise (mine do) I am going around the obstacle clockwise throwing the grass away from the obstacle.

4. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think any of the commercial Trimmers spin any way but counterclockwise.

5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

That is the best thing to do...

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to find a commercial trimmer that spins clockwise to....on of the guys that works for me always trims to the right instead of the left and always gettng grass in beds..keep telling him to go the other way and does for a couple lawns then back grass in beds..a trimmer that spins the head clockwise would really help me out..:hammerhead:

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How about if your employee learns to properly use the trimmer? Sounds like he's a bit lazy. If he can do it properly for a couple of lawns, he can do it properly for all the lawns. :hammerhead:

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The difference is straight-shaft (solid drive shaft) models, and curved-shaft (flexible cable drive) models. The flexible cable models have the trimmer head rotation the same rotation as the engine. But straight-shaft models have a gear box at the end of the shaft, changing the rotation of the trimmer head.

As suggested earlier, just learn to use right-handed, or left-handed. It is much easier to move the trimmer hand-to-hand, than to walk backwards in some places. Also, it is quicker to move the trimmer, than to move yourself in the right position.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Think of the shaft like an axle, and you can 'rotate' the trimmer on this axle and this affects which end of the string hits the weeds and depending which way you rotate the head down, that affects which way grass blows. By rotating the trimmer on its axle, I can make stuff blow away or towards me, doesn't matter which way the trimmer head rotates thou I do admit it would take some getting used to.

Only thing is which end to dip down, on a cc-rotation, if you rotate to the left side it spins stuff towards you and if you rotate the right side down then it spins away... There is one thing and I forget which way this happens but one side will dig into the dirt and scalp a lot easier than the other way.

So way I see things it is only a matter of which way to 'dip' the trimmer head.

p.s.: I trim using the sides, not the front. So yeah, I trim kinda sideways and that's the trick I found works best.

10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

As the owner of both cw and ccw. I can trim twice as fast cw. I am looking for commercial quality cw rotation. It's not a matter learning or being lazy. This is a preferance and a convience.