Trimmer head vibration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunputt, Mar 15, 2002.

1. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

I have a Red Max 2500 trimmer, and sometimes the head really vibrates bad when I throttle up. Almost feels like something is out of balance. All screws and such are tight. Any thoughts.

Thanks John:confused:

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about redmax trimmers but with my stihl trimmers need the shafts lubed every year and the thicker the lube the better. That always seems to cut back on vibrations

3. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

gunputt

I have the same trimmer, bought it from Ted at Ted,s Mower on Q Street I have had no problems with mine. They did tell me when I got it to be sure and grease the head frequently depending on use.

4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I had an employee tell me that my Stihl fs85 was vibrating so bad that he could no longer use it. I opened the head and dumped out the dirt/grass that had accumualted....sent him back to work.

All better :)

5. What does Ted's mower shop on Q street have to with it?:rolleyes:

Rewind the string!!!! Clean any crap out of it also.

6. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

LAWNGODFATHER:

Teds mower is a local dealer where gunputt pry bought at he is in my area.

So to answer your question he has nothing to do with it

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It usually comes from all the buildup in the head. When mine starts putting my hand to sleep I clean it out.

Look out carpal tunnel, here I come!

8. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

YEAH, CHECK THE DIRT INSIDE THE HEAD THAT MAY BE THROWING OFF THE BALANCE,ALSO CHECK THE HEAD ITSELF,IT MAY BE MESSED UP.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you guys mean inside the head where the spool is at? I've never seen dirt build up there before. I can certainly see how it could, though. I've seen the grommits that hold the cable and shaft in place wear out, causing vibration, too.

10. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

If you clean out the head and lube it and it still vibrates, then replace the two plastic bushings in the shaft. The fix is pretty easy on some models.