Trimmer heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Guest

Which head is most efficient; manual or bump feed?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

bump feed is my choice.Also if double lines are
    time consuming to refill,just go single .
    Works fine .

3. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Get the greenmachine head.You can't go wrong.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Neither, I use fully automatic heads. Give it full throttle and it self feeds the right amount of line out.

5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I saved alot of $$$ last year by going manual. The pro head is my choice. It is a head that is about 1/2 inch tall and all metal. It does not wear down or spew out excess string like the bump ones do. I usually only have to change my string once, maybe twice a day. I MAY go through one spool a year if i use alot while training, but overall i dont use a whole lot.

That is just me though.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We changed from bump feed to manual feed and have found a significant savings in the amount of trimmer line used.

This is also in my opionion a better way for the crews to manage their usage. Obviously if they have to stop quite frequently they will know that they are using too much and can adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

AWM, could you explain your post for me? If double lines are time consuming to refill, just go single? What does this mean?

I can wind a double line head twice as fast as you can wind a single line head. I did not know any professional trimmer still used single line heads. I would not want one of them, that is for sure, but that is just my opinion. What brand do you use that has single line feed?

BTW, we use bump feed heads.

8. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler LawnSite Member

I love my BIG Echos with the bump feed, thats the only way to go for me, I currently do 7 cemeteries, talk about alot of trimming, I KNOW

9. Guest

Personally, I like the fixed-line trimmer heads. The heads are tiny, about the thickness and width of a small coffee cup saucer (3" wide"). I manually replace the line 3 times a day. It also alows me to use different lines (round, square) and of different thicknesses for different jobs. I use about 50% less trimmer line (savings of about $60 a year) and can replace the line with pre-cut pieces in about 30 seconds. This adds up to about the amount of time it takes to load the bump heads and auto's. It also allows me to trim faster and lets me do a better job trimming. The heads are also less expensive and VERY durable since they have no parts.

10. zipp669

zipp669 LawnSite Member

BUMP on my Stihls, & i am like red rattler I have 6 cemetaries.