Trimmer Heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Oct 13, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I hate winding the string around the spool all the time. Are there any heads out there that you guys use that make this part of the job easy? I almost bought an echo srm 210 today but didnt because of the head.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

there are those heads "as seen on TV" that you simply push the string in and it locks, but they become extremely expensive when used commerically. either suck it up or find a new job, winding heads is a part of it. if you use bump type heads switch them for manuel. they dont use anywhere near the same amount of string.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

just have a couple extra heads in the toolbox & swap them out as needed. Then at the end of the day refill them for tomorrow.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have 3 different brands of trimmers but I run schindaiwa speedfeed heads on all of them. I love not taking the heads apart to refill the line.

5. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of trimmer are you using? I know Stihl makes a head where you insert the two pieces of line and just crank it all in. You are still winding, but there is no need to disassemble the head at all.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

As suggested, the Shindaiwa Speed Feed head is the way to go. Single length of line and comes out even every time (if you are loading from the supply and then clipping it even).

I guess the Stihl head (although I've never seen it) is a suggestion also, as long as you don't mind having to measure out two pieces of line first.

7. Juan_Deere

It isn't that hard. I take three arms length of line from the spool. Cut it, find the center point of the piece I just cut, cut it again, wind.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Rapid-Loader heads for several years now. I prefer an Echo 261T and use .155 line. Works real well, no line will last against cement or stone. No wasted time fighting with a bump head.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if you cant reload an echo head -your are hopeless.

10. Juan_Deere

Nobody said they can't load them. But there is definitely a huge difference in ease of use between all the heads out there.