trimmer heads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekarbeiter, Sep 10, 2009.

1. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,

I have a Stihl FS90R that is a couple years old with the original trimmer head. It is now wearing out and I am looking to buy a head that is a quick feed (no taking apart head). I dont care for the Stihl head as I have tried it. I am looking at either the Echo U-turn or the Shindaiwa Speed Feed. The problem is that there is only an Echo dealer around my area. I need to know if this trimmer head is worth buying. I want the best quick feed trimmer head on the market that will fit my Stihl.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have one Echo U Turn head but several Speed Feed heads. To me the Shindaiwa/Oregon speedfeed is the best head on the market. I also prefer the small speedfeed over the large but I have both.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I love the speed feed head. Very easy to use. I have the Echo U-Turn as well on my trimmer, and I don't have any complaints.

4. Dpatt07

Dpatt07 LawnSite Member

I use the Shindaiwa head and I love it. Its very easy to replace line, never jams up, and just a simple straight forward design. I believe that my dealers sells the head for $35 dollars last time I checked, which is not a bad deal.

5. Dan85

Dan85 LawnSite Member

We have three shindaiwa speed feeds, by far the best heads I have used. So my vote is most definitely for shindaiwa.

- Dan

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My vote goes to the shindy speed feed. 5 replies and 5 votes for the shindy. They must be doing something right.

7. Jayson_109

Jayson_109 LawnSite Member

RedMax has just come out with one.... have been using it for a couple months and have no complaints on it. I know it is manufactured for them, does look similar to the Shindy. Think I paid $23?

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently I would be the only one who likes the stihl version.

9. Speedfeed 450 rocks and the Echo U-turn sux. Oregon and Stens also makes a Speed Feed and not only Shindaiwa makes that head. I need to order another one right now. Hey Hoyt.

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

northern tools has speed feed if they are by you. I bought mine on Ebay for like 35 bucks new to my door. I replaced the u turn for the s/f as it holds more string and is three times faster and easier to use. The u turn takes about a 5 pound roll of string to loosen up. The speed feed was easy to turn from day one. U turn has a nub to bump out string as the speed feed is the entire surface.