Trimmer in the Shop???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2menandamower, Aug 7, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Just had to put my Redmax Trimmer in the shop. I have had it for 3 months or so and on Saturday it just had no power and would just about vibrate out of your hands when it did throtle up. I called the shop this afternoon and he told me that the muffler was stopped up. He said that the fule mix maybe worng (all of my other stuff is running fine on the same fuel can), or that leaving the fuel cans in the heat could cause evaporation of the fuel but not the oil, or not running the unit at full throtle. Is this right???? Just sounds like a bunch of crap reasons. He said that he can just clean it out and it will be fine???? Just currious. I am faithful to this dealer but there is a new shop manager that I have not had the interaction with enough to konw if he is full of it and feeding me a bunch of bull or telling the truth. Let me know wise ones if these are reasons that a muffler would clog up.

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Evaporation of fuel!!???? Man we get screwed for 3 bucks a gal at the pump, then the sun steals it?? Whats next!!! I think that's crap man...Ive never heard that before.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, then open your ears.

Have you ever spilled gas on the hot sidewalk and seen how fast it evaporates? Or opened a buldging fuel can and heard/smelled the gas fumes that escaped? Where do you think the fumes come from? They come from the liquid gas getting hot and turning from a liquid to a gas. Now, if the evaporative properties of gas are higher than the 2 cycle oil and the gas is evaporating but the oil isn't, how do you think the oil mixture doesn't become greater?

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

if that is the case, and i don't recommend this :rolleyes: , yank out the spark arrester screen. it won't hurt anything. that is the only problem i have had out of my redmax and it has lived out in the weather year round, and has been downright abused. the thing just won't quit. oh yeah, i had to repalce a recoil spring too last year. no big deal in either case.

5. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

OK that sounds like an idea but I still have almost 2 years still on the warranty and I am jsut curious will that void the warranty? I have noticed that my redmax blower does not have a spark arressor screen on it. Maybe I just need to make sure it stays clean.... THanks for the input guys.

6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I would have thought that before you took the machine in for repair you would have taken a little time to look over the operator's manual. Most if not all manuals recommend cleaning the spark arrestor when performance drops off. The sooty-carbon buildup is a sure indication of running at less than optimum speed under load. Even with an accurate mix ratio this will cause the problem you are having. You mech is apparently trying to help you out . If you don't read & heed your manual you will be more sorry than you are now. And no, this is not a warranty defect on the part of the machine or manufacturer.

Help yourself by taking a little time to read the manual. It sounds like your dealer's service manager is trying to keep you from clogging up his shop.

Good luck at staying out of the repair shop.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What model trimmer is it? I have had a problem similar with a new redmax trimmer. Turns out, the driveshaft was slipping out of the clutch casuing vibrations. They also cleaned the exhaust and removed the screen.

8. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Now you got me curious, just how did the "driveshaft slip out of the clutch"? That has got to be a new one. Driveshafts are connected to clutch drums but not to the clutch. Unless you heard wrong I would suspect your leg is now a little longer!

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Or maybe my eyes? If I open my ears will I hear the evaporation? ;)

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

No, I mean your ears. People have probably told you that before and you just were not listening.