trimmer info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robbo521, Apr 6, 2006.

1. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a cheap weedwacker but love it.is going on 5 years old and is very lite.i have looked but not close to new ones to use 3 or 4 times a week.what is the biggest difference between box stores and a good commercial one.

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Power, quality, service, you name it.

3. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor and look at a few commercial trimmers. It doesn't matter which brand--Stihl, RedMax, Shindaiwa, Tanaka, etc.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better a commercial trimmer operates (much more powerful) and usually is as light, if not lighter than a typical "box store" trimmer. :clapping:
    The additional price will be overshadowed by durability and ease of use.

4. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

this is what i have noticed, for every commercial cc there is way more power than the homeowner cc. plus homeowner models sometimes overheat and shutdown a commercial wont do that. the clutches are more high performance also meaning torque. you can cut down small trees with a larger cc commercial units. the one howmowner unit i would recommend is the stihl fs55r it has 27cc so is probably the most reliable power you can buy for $220. Also commercial shafts or always straight for durabilty versus flex shaft and they are longer for ergonomics less bending over. airfilter are also higher quality. bigger spools for more wire. just better period. its like comparing black and decker to milwalkee.

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Echo SRM-210 is a very nice light duty commercial trimmer. You can get one from your local dealer for around $200.

6. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Go with a Shindaiwa. If you do not want a commerical one you can get the shindaiwa home pro. I have one and it has plenty of power.

7. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^The home pro is only $200

8. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

for trimmers - TANAKA ALL THE WAY. The tbc 220 is about 189 on ebay. They are super light weight and absolutely awesome. My old tbc 230 has been in service for 13 years.

9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

thank you all.have a new Stihl dealer just move in last week about a mile away.