trimmer leaking oil..........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Jun 27, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Have a new Echo SRM-230 and noticed excessive oil leaking out of the exhaust an is running down the gas tank. What is causing this, could it be a ba gasket or something? Am I not burning it off good enough, and if so, how do I?

Thanks

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using the Echo oil? If so try a different oil, my dad's Echo did the same thing on it. He switched to the stihl oil I run, no more funk.

3. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

I've got a Husqvarna 325 that does the same thing. It's nasty to clean up. A dealer told me to use a higher octane gas. I havent tried it yet so I don't know if that will solve the problem.

4. precisioncut

Wiselawns, I use 91 octane in my 2 strokes. Still does it, but only with my trimmer. It's going to clog my exhaust soon if I don't get it fixed. My Echo PB-403 backpack blower was doing it to and a dealer told me it was because I wasn't running it at full throttle enough.

I currently use the Echo oil (50:1 mix). Do you think it would make a difference if I stared using Amsoil (100:1 mix)?

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys see if you can find a dealer that sells Opti-2 2 cycle oil. a lot of us around here use it and there is a lot less smoke and none of that leak you speak of (though my stihl oil never did it either).

6. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Is the right amount of gas being used to your mix oil? The problem we have to watch out for is the oil mix is for 2.5 gallons of gas. And a lot of the gas cans we have are only 2 gals. That makes our stihl equipment blow oil out the exhaust, and plugs the exhaust ports.

7. precisioncut

I use a 1 gallon can and fill it with 1 gal only. I fill that can up first and watch the pump to get only 1 gal of gas and then add th small can of oil. So I shouldn't be off.

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

try 32:1 ratio with lawnboy oil thats what we use and the oil leakage isn't really a problem.

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

O.K. guys, he said oil is leaking out of his muffler, but we all know that is is gas mixed with oil, right? I had an Echo do this when it was resting on its side like the muffler facing down. This might be the problem or it is running way, way to rich. If it is new, the only thing to do is take it to the dealer and let him have a look at it.

If you were running enough oil in your mix to cause this, it would smoke like hell.

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Precision Cut, our Echo HC 1600 hedge trimmer did the same thing. What a mess. Took it back to my dealer and he put in a hotter plug and set the carb leaner. It still smokes but does not leak out the exhaust port. Now as far as the oil brand goes or the mix, everyone has there favorite oil. The key is to pick any good quality oil. The mix is not an exact science at 35 to 1 up to 50 to 1. If you were mixing at 100 to 1 then you need to be exact. Tanaka does not even put a mix ratio on there oil. You mix it per gallon and they say it works in any 2 cycle equipment. Its what I use in my Tanaka trimmers, Kaw trimmers, Red Max blower, Echo blower and my husky chain saw. It only smokes in that dam Echo hedge trimmer! My dealer said I may also be running it at two low of RPM's for what thats worth.