1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer Line and damage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NE Wisconsin, Feb 16, 2008.

1. NE Wisconsin

NE Wisconsin LawnSite Member

hey i know there is probably a million threads on this but i'm to lazy to search and read. What diameter trimmer line does everyone use? I use the stuff from home depot that is red. Not the thickest one, but the one right below that which is a little thicker than the orange stuff. I used to use the thickest stuff they had until I damage this crazy guy's property
  2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I use .095 Echo Cross-Fire. Great trimmer line. I've used a couple others, Shindaiwa SilenTwist being one of them, and didn't like the durability or the cut quality. I bought just a small roll of Cross-Fire to try out, but I'll probably buy a 3 or 5 lb roll next time. I'm thinking about getting an Edgit, so I may try .105 and see if that edges better than .095.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The stuff I use comes i one color, reguardless of the diameter. It's red and white. It's Arnold Extreme or something like that. It's the BEST line Ive used over many years and even more many brands of line tried. I also use the .080 dia. line. Iv'e used .095 back to back with the .080 and the latter just works better. It breaks less, it cuts easier, it's lighter to spin so I can run a little longer line, I can also wind more on a spool. And if that's not enough, when I buy it, the .080 spools have more line on them (in length) than the larger stuff.
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i use .135. cuts through anything and lasts the longest.
  5. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I use .105 Stihl and Rhino Tuff. I think the Rhino Tuff is a little better than the Stihl, but the Stihl is also very good. I have found that those work the best in my FS 100 RX Stihl.
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been in the business almost 20 yrs and just recently switched to what I consider the best line made. Rino-Tuff line. It's got a hard outer layer and a soft inner core to give the best of both worlds. I've been using it for a couple of months and have yet to break a line. I find myself using it more and more to edge with. The biggest reason I bought an edger was because whatever trimmer line I was using broke constantly if I edged with it. Now that I use the Rino-Tuff line I find that I can edge all day and not break a line. The stuffs incredible. I got a 3lb spool of it from MowMore. I use the round .095 size in my Husky 323L trimmer.
  7. lawn&orderinc

lawn&orderinc LawnSite Member

I also use the rino-tuff line .095 got it from mowmore.com it's great.
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use .095
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

.095 and .105 RedMax square line.
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

.095, anything thicker then that becomes unmanageable in my book. If your doing damager with a line trimmer you going too close or just not being careful enough.