trimmer line and water???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, May 6, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Sorry for being lazy and not searching this topic as I think it was discussed last season. But I thought I read somewhere that if you store trimmer line in water it keeps from getting brittle. Is this true? I was using some leftover line from last year and it didn't seem to last near as long as it did last year. Plus it was splitting, and it never did that for me last year. Fortunately I don't have too much left and at this rate I'll be out buying some new stuff real soon.

Anyway, am I correct in seeing something about keeping the line in water and it stays fresher longer?

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My old employer told me this was true. I have no first hand experiance with it though.
  3. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I was told the that it would. I tried it. I use cut pieces in a quick load head. I cut about 100 pieces and stored them in wet paper towels in a plastic bag for about 2-3 weeks. I was using .095 Echo cross fire line.
    Results; The string didn't split at the end, it just broke off at the head. That got old fast. After about a week or two the breaking stopped and the line did seem to last longer.
    Don't know if I will go through that again, don't think the improvement was worth the effort. :dizzy: :waving:
  4. turfmaster90

turfmaster90 LawnSite Member

Yes it will last longer. During the summer the sun bakes the moisture right out of trimmer line. I take mine off the holder and put it in a bucket of water during the winter. I put a brick on top of the spool to keep it beneath the water. When summer rolls around the line is very plyable just like a brand new line :cool2: .
  5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I use the same head, Rapid Loader I think it's called. Using the same line also, have had very good results with that line. I've seen where some use the Husky Titanium line and they seem to like it, maybe I'll get some of both and give them a try.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I tried the water thing and my line was nice and plyable but it also got mushy and diden't last as long in heavy weeds.
  7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thats news to me I have never heard of anyone doing that before.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Having spent 15 years in the plastics industry I can say this..........Trimmer line by nature of its ploymer makeup will absorb water and dry out over time. Dry trimmer line will be more brittle..............

We used to ship certain products after molding, in plastic bags and add a cup of water to be absorbed during of the products? Endoscopic tubes for surgical purposes..........
  9. supper_slash

supper_slash LawnSite Member

Yes i am also in the plastics industry and water dose help the line from "drying" up, but what will real make it soft is plasticizer ("plas·ti·ciz·er : Any of various substances added to plastics or other materials to make or keep them soft or pliable.") :blob3:

Like "Armor All®" :p something that you might us to keep your dash nice and shinny in the summer, and help keep it from "cracking" and "drying out", now i now that you can make it too soft, so you might need to try it out a little to get the time worked out ok, but the watter dose too things, 1. it keeps the string frome drying out and 2. it keeps it cool. that is two of three of the best things that you can do to keep plastics for a long time, the number 3 thin is 3. UV blocker. the worst thing is the sun. so that is why you might wont to try "Armor All®" payup or any thing that has "plasticizer" on the label cheep. maby this will help. P.S. most of the string is made out of PVC witch is in the poly family, but IS different.. :rolleyes:
  10. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I have a 5 pound spool from years ago which I started using the few months and haven't had any problems with line breaking and I have used it to cut weeds over 3 feet tall.