Trimmer Line Experiment Cheap vs Non-Cheap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Mar 1, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I believe I am going to do a little "trimmer line experiment" this season.

In the past I have always used "very good quality" trimmer line. The main line I use is Echo Crossfire .095. I have also tried RedMax and the lines both the Square and the Twisted with the "corded" center (which I don't really care for). So, I keep reading on here about the guys that use the $14 Wal-Mart line and after seeing those numerous threads about this $14 line I starting thinking is paying 2 to 3 times for this line "really" worth it? I don't know but I decided I am going to find out and will report back with a totally unbiased, honest answer.

So, I normally refuse to do business at any Wal-Mart but I bit the bullet for my experiment and you guys. As we are completely out and need to restock anyway, today I went and bought a couple 5# Spools (1300') of "their cheap" (YES, it was $14) Square (5 sided) .095 trimmer line, red in color don't even remember the name brand as I have already dumped them in water. We don't do very much if any "bush hogging" so to speak with the trimmers so outside of maybe once or twice a year on a new "badly maintained yard" it is normal everyday trimming. So, I want to see first hand if this line works and holds up in everyday normal use. In comparing it to the Crossfire, I got say there wasn't much difference in look and feel, but time will tell. My gut feeling is after buying a lot of trimmer line in my day that it really may do just as well as say the "quality" stuff but figure even if it last only half as long I have still saved money over the cost of the same size spool of "quality" line.

2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Been there...done that...dont waste your time or good money my friend.

Gator line we found to be the best (IMO)

Also liked the "Titanium" gray with little beads..lasted almost as long as the gator.

Oh ya,,,,go with the 105...lasts alot longer.

:cool2:

P.S. How many times do you have to "bump" on ...ummmm ,,, lets say 5acre property ? ( for you commercial guys/gals ) Do you have to carry a spare spool ? just incase ?

3. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Just go to your handheld equipment and buy the biggest spool of trimmer line they have. I have got a five-pounder and it should last me for another 5-7 years or so.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a spool of .080 line from Wal Mart. It is green in color. I really don't notice that much differance between Wal Mart line and the much more costly Echo line I used to buy.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Redmax pe will run 130 line no problem.

6. midwestguy

midwestguy LawnSite Member

we use the husqvarana brand titanium line...............it seems to be very good stuff

7. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

I have used .105 Echo Crossfire for years and am not going to change now....

My dealer gives me excellent pre season prices on parts and accessories as well....

I have tried some of the other line out there and always come back to the Crossfire...

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive used walmart line etc for many years I also use it to bundle branches etc, I did get a bad spool last year that drove me nuts. Every time you gave the trimmer gas the head would start to lift like a helicopter it was the srangest thing.

9. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I have used almost every brand out there. Stihl trimmer line is the only one I will ever use again.

10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Las season I tried about every line I could get ahold of.(Stihl, Echo, Gator ECT ECT) Bought the little tiny rolls just so I could compare them. At the end of the season I went back to the Stihl 95. During the winter the wife walked past the reduced bin in Wallmart and couldn't resist a 5lb spool of Weed Eater five sided line for 5 bucks. Laughed at her and asked what am I supposed to do with this junk. Been using it for about a month and love the stuff. Lasts forever. I believe cuts better than others I have used. Wish she would of bought all of the spools now.