Trimmer line on new Stihl FS130 breaks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duckwood, Jul 8, 2008.

1. duckwood

duckwood LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I am having trouble edging (inverted along existing beds) using 0.095 trimmer line. If I run full throttle, it breaks off into the head in about 10 feet. Is this trimmer too powerful to do this (1.9hp). I've tried Stihl quiet cut and original (orange) 0.095 line. If I back it off a bit I can get by, but that engine doesn't seem to like it backed off much..a little nudge on the throttle here and there and it's revving up and down, a torque monster. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Abe

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Try .095 square, .105 square or maybe one of Stihl's or some ones else's shaped lines. Stihl offers, .095 square and .105 square, .095 pentagon line, .105 pentagon line. .095 X line and .105 X line. Red Max offers a spiral type line that looks like it would cut really well, that's what I plan on trying next and hopefully settling on. Currently I'm using .095 Square and it's OK.

3. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

That OEM stihl stuff is just a bit too brittle. I've had problems with snapping and the thing would'nt tap out right (very annoying with a full auto head). Soaking it in water helped, but I ended up using a different line.

And yes you have bought a monster that could harvest grain. So go up to .105 or .130 would'nt be out of place (really!). These last a lot longer.

4. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Without appearing rude, have you wound the line the right way around. I know it seems dumb, but we've all done it.

Remember when using a stimmer it's just the tip of the line that should do the work, tilt it slighlty if necessary to use just the tip. The line will wear out quicker if it's used flat, like a blade, to do the cutting.
    Make sure the line head does not contact the ground when using the machine.
    atb Phil :)

=

5. duckwood

duckwood LawnSite Member

Well since I just got it, unless the factory had it wrong, I'd say no. I removed the factory quiet line after the breaking and the regular (non-scored) line did the same. I am "edging", so there is some contact with the ground. I had no problems with my older, less powerful trimmer using the same exact line and technique.

so any suggestions on other brands of line? does something like the gator line with a center filament actually work?

6. Lazer_Z

from NJ

duck, I'm not sure if you missed my reply but, this is what I had to say. Hope this helps some.

7. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

That Red Max line is pretty nice

8. frontier66

frontier66 LawnSite Member
    from nc

on my fs130s and fs110s i run stihl 105 x line.

9. Lazer_Z

from NJ

white, could you point out any pro's or con's on that line?
    frontier, same for you any pro's or con's to the "X" line?

Thanks guys.

10. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

Since I switched to Husky Titaniumcore line last summer I've cut my line usage in 1/2 with more accounts than I had then. And only a few dollars more per spool. I'm a big believer. Try it.