Trimmer Line Question,...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrwinter74, Sep 16, 2004.

1. jrwinter74

jrwinter74 LawnSite Member

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I recently found that my John Deere trimmers are slow to feed square trimmer line. :angry: Seems like it tangles within the spool. It is a BIG problem especially when we are in a hurry(always). Anyone have better luck with round line? If so, what brand? Also, does anyone soak their line in water a couple of days before use and/or lubricate it once it's on the spool to make it feed out quicker and smoother? Thanks! jrwinter74 :)

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use round line in different guages for differend purposes and dont have any problems at all as long as I wind it correctly. Never heard of soaking line before use, thats a new one.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We use to use Diamond Edge and it only would bind on us if it wasn't properly wound on the spool. Round line is almost as good, doesn't last quite as long but for the most part you won't notice. School Dist. paid for the Diamond Edge so that's why we used it. Echo makes a better edged line.

4. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

We use the square line they sell at Lowes....Extreme Professional or something like that....works great for us (I have experimented with all kinds of line ) and I think this is the most durable and feeds fine in our shin t270s.....I think the ultimate line would the vortex line (the round low noise line does cut better but is brittle and breaks and wears very fast) made of the same material that the extreme line is made of....
    Andrew

5. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have a jd Trimmer and use Stihl round line and don not have a problem.
    Except you cant rewind the stupid spool in the truck!

Mike

6. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use husky line square line dont have a problem feeding slow but do spray the spools with w.d. 40 to keep from welding up in the spool... seems to work great