1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer Line Racks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Feb 28, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Has anyone mad a trimmer line spool holder? I can't see spending $25 on one. It can't be that hard to make.
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob I am with you. The cost of string racks is rediculous , let alone the cost of trimer racks. How can an oversized toilet despenser cos $25. How can a trimmer rack to hold 2 trimmers cost $200. :confused: Feel like I am being robbed
  3. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Sorry guy's, but if your in this business and sweating 25.00 you are not doing something right!
  4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer line holders around here are $14. and racks are only 140
  5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Home depot plumbing department. :p

On a more serious note you could just get a pipe and stick it through the spoor and take some trimmer line and hook it up to your trimmer trap that should work great. I may not be very clear right now but maybe ask BHB and he can help. I know my idea will work but, if someone that understand me just please post a pic.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, you are probably right. It would be better to pay that $25 for a $5 piece of equipment and be happy.
  7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can take a pipe with a slight elbow and put the line over it and bolt it to the trailer. That way it won't fall off.
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

get yourself a wire feed welder, chop saw, angle grinder, small drill press. and you can make anything your heart desires.
  9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Make an upsidedown U 3 peices of 1' pipe depending on your spool you can detetermine the dia. of pipe....
    And 2 90 degree elbows, put the spool on first..... then 2 flanges and there ya go a trimmer line dispenser
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt says out of nowhere, "You know that guy Bob the Millennium Member?"
    I'm like yeah, ok... what about him.

Matt says, "I want you to post to that trimmer line rack thread."

So here is his invention.

Materials required:
    5/8 x 12 inches allthread
    5/8 washer
    5/8 lock nuts (3 of them)

Step 1: Drill 5/8 hole thru mounting surface. (in our case trimmer rack)
    Step 2: Secure 5/8 allthread with 2 lock nuts, one on each side of the mounting surface
    Step 3: Slide your spool ( 3 or 5lb) over allthread
    Step 4: Place washer over allthread.
    Step 5: Tighten lock nut leaving 1/8 gap between spool and washer

Trip to Lowes: $3.00
    Inventing your own spool holder: Brilliant. ;)