Trimmer line spool holder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Sep 4, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking for a spool holder. Who makes some...i've only found a couple. I would like one that holds the line secure, so it doesn't unroll and one that has a cutter would be even better!

Any ideas??

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a Jungle Jims Spool Mate at the GIE in NC. last year. It has all the goodies you want. It has a spring that keeps tension on it so it doesnt un wind, it has a housing built around it so the spool doesnt get damaged, and it has a built in cutter. I thought it was nice but I keep my trimmer line at home with a few extra spools in the tool box on the truck.
    www.junglejimsap.com

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

A home made version for the big spools would be a rod, a piece of plywood and 3 pieces of 2 x 4 's.

Cut one 2 x 4 just about 1-1/2" longer that the spool. Cut the other two pieces just a few inches longer that the diameter of the spool.

Screw the two end pieces (you are making a U shape) to the ends of the longer piece. Take a piece of 3/4 " plywood about 12" square and screw the U shaped frame to it.

Drill a hole in each end of the frame for the rod to pass through. You can use a piece of all thread instead of a rod . What you have is a
    larger version of a toilet paper holder. Carry the holder in your trailer of keep it at the shop with a knife close by.

Personally I know how many turns to roll off for a spool full. So I make up a few spool fulls , tie them off with masking tape and put them in a drawer.

Nosmo

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I saw that JungleJim holder before but it is HUGE! It is still a possibility tho!