trimmer line spool holders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Dec 8, 2007.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

This past season I finally got the idea to put a trimmer line spool holder on my trailer,all I did was fabricate a "holder" and simply welded it to the inner side of my trimmer rack,slide the spool on and it works great and is so much easier!The only problem I had is keeping tension on the line to prevent it from un-raveling,I tried a big rubber band and it worked great for awhile but always being out in the sun quickly "rotted" the band and it broke,Is there another way the tension is held on the holders you can buy?or a much tougher type of rubber band?Thanks.

2. cutemhigh

cutemhigh LawnSite Member
    from 44060

duck tape..binder clip..tie a knot..

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Just buy one from Buyers or Green Touch.

4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Go to home cheapo and buy a spring and slide it on with the roll of string

5. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

For those of us who don't use a spool a week, more like a season, does hanging the spool out in the sun/weather do the line any harm?

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Wooley99,I go thru about 2 spools a season,and I have never had any problems with the line being out in the heat and sun.However someone did tell me once not to let it sit out in the freezing cold to long,They said it will make it more brittle,but By the time the cold comes Ive already stripped everything off the trailer and bring it indoors(I even remove the trimmer racks during the winter).