Trimmer Line SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtm45, May 25, 2005.

1. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

This new multi sided star shape line sucks the big One!! the ends fray and dont cut, cant find round line anymore-whats up with that??

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Which brand are you using? I've had excellent luck with Echo Cross Fire. Is the line dry and/or brittle?

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

As stated above, if the line is old it will cause it to be brittle. I keep mine in a zip lock bag of water. Stays in good shape 10 times longer.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

No problems here with the Echo Cross fire. Where do you buy your line? Everywhere I go they have round, square and star.

5. hustlerdealer

hustlerdealer LawnSite Member

what type of head do you use? i find that the oregon magnum gator line in .095 works great and last' longer than most in a bump style head, but, my preference is the oregon 4 line jet fit head with .138 flexi-blade line from oregon. if you soak regular nylon line (the cheap stuff) in water, it will last twice as long. square gator magnum .105 and .130 works great and last' very long as well in most fixed heads. :drinkup:

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with hustlerdealer, the gator magnum line is vastly superior to anything I have ever used before. I like the jet head as well, but have trouble if I use any other line then the flexi-blade.

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been using Landscaper Pro Spiral Shaped Trimmer line with good results.

9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Shakespeare makes a good line...095, I think it is called Rhino. They also make a line with titanium and it is the best I have used, but can't find it now. Never heard of soaking it. Learn something every day if you pay attention.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did you all know that 750 million feet of trimmer line was sold in the US last year??