Trimmer Line Test

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Markf, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    I did a search but could not find the thread. There was a member who was performing a recent trimmer line test from all different manufacturers and retailers (Wal-Mart) included. Does anyone know the outcome or where the thread can be found.
    Thanks.
    Mark

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That was me. I was testing the Wal-Mart line against the Echo Crossfire line that I have always used. So far we have gone though 6 trimmer spools of the Wal-Mart line and so far I gotta say other than maybe not lasting quite as long on concrete as the Echo Crossfire did that it is every bit as good. So I figure that because the same 5 Pound roll of line in Crossfire cost me $37 dollars and the 5# Wal-Mart was $13 that is a more than fair trade off. The only down side that I see at all and it really isn't a big one is that the .095 Wal-mart line appears to be just a tad smaller around than the .095 Echo, not much at all but maybe a tad but that has not effected performance. We still of course have a lot of line left on that 5# Wal-Mart roll so it "could" change but at this point for the performance and the savings I think that maybe it's what we'll buy in the future.

3. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

been using wal-mart .095 line for 3 years

butt load cheaper than the other places

4. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. Next spool we will try the Wal-Mart.

5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Really I don't think there is any difference in trimmer line no matter what snazzy name you put on it. Honestly, it is string how different could it be? Only one thing, size does matter, but it's a personal preference. I always got my string at the co-op, only because it was on my way to the majority of my jobs and it was cheap.

I always carried different sizes in the truck and would test them out. What I found was that in the grand scheme of things there really wasn't much difference in the end results. If I used really thin string I could trim a lot faster, but you had to stop more often to refill the opposite with thicker string. Some different styles of line had feeding problems, like square line.

I did notice though that the thinner string gave a cleaner look on the un mowable areas like hills and soft spots, but on regular trimming you couldn't tell.

6. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i think wal-mart sells the "pulverizer" string in a .105 too, so if you think the .095 is too skinny, that'd be the way to go. i dont know if they sell it on a 5# spool though.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The durability of trimmer line can be increased by soaking it in water for a week prior to use.

8. kwelch

kwelch LawnSite Member

Are you serious?

9. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that as well. Old Wive's tale?? never tried it myself, but my trimmer line always sat out in the rain on the trailer.

10. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i've heard ithelps a little, but i dont think its worth the trouble, just buy good string to begin with, the time it takes for you to fool w/ soaking the thing probably isnt worth the money saved on string