Trimmer line that rarely breaks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PGA, Mar 26, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I know this sounds goofy but I was watching some show the other day, I think it was Paul James, Gardening By The Yard, and he said that if you spray your trimmer line with vegetable oil, like PAM, it will almost never break. He said its because the line gets old and dry and thats what causes it to be brittle but the oil will moisten it up.

Im starting my first cuts tommorow and Im going to give it a shot.

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess the theory is there... but I dunno.
    I figured it was the rpms of the trimmer... and full throttle, and then clippin' a rock, stone, sidewalk...etc... .that breaks it.
  3. PGA

Thats what I thought also. Maybe it just doesnt break AS MUCH as it would if it wasnt so brittle.

I dont know...
  4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well something else to consider is that show is geared toward homeowners. A home owner may keep and use the same spool (depending how big they bought) all year, or even longer. That is probably what the oil is for. I don't think it is going to keep new line any longer by spraying oil on. just my .02
  5. harley29710

harley29710 LawnSite Member

I haven't tried this but my dealer said he has clients that keep there string in a bucket of water. They say it keeps it from being brittle.
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I think keeping the line hydrated, oil or water, will work. But that is more for storing it over a long time in extreme conditions. Real cold or hot will damage it.
  7. PGA

Im a solo guy and I buy a big spool of line about once every 1 1/2 seasons. It would probably help a guy like me more then it would a big LCO who goes through a few spools a season.
  8. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well in that case you are right. I go through about 2-3 big spools per year, so don't think much about it. But yeh if you are keeping line for a year or so, hot and cold with the climate, I am sure the oil could not hurt.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the line in water.

One problem with tap and go heads is line weld. This is an ultrasonic weld that can be prevented by spraying a lube such as Opti or WD40 after the spool is wound.

10. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of this also. Tell you, since I started using Rino-Tuff Line I don't have any of the problems that I used to with the line breaking, welding it-self in the spool and all that and I was using Sthil line and the Honda spiral line. Going to try my free sample of Green Monster line but I don't see it out doing the Rino Tuff.