Trimmer line types

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We kick grass, Feb 11, 2002.

1. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

We have been experimenting with different types of line in our trimmers. Now besides all the pretty colors out there does anyone have some real insite into the best types of lines. Diameters are an issue and the shape of the line is always a selling point for manufactures. But what really works and is cost efficient to the contractor? Or is this a product that is more hype than a science?
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i believe the thicker the string the better for thick/heavy stuff is the rule of thumb
  3. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

We use Sthil 105 string. Holds up well. Tried others but kept comming back to this one. The square type cuts good but seems to wear out faster.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

echo cross fire .095
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Reading all the hype about square, star, crossfire, etc lines I've never noticed a difference in the cutting ability. I have noticed that any of these lines, when used, all look the same after use. Therefore, any of the advantages of the shape seem useless and just so much BS. I like .105 line 'cause no matter what brand, it seems to last longer. One line that I'm trying now is Huskys titanium. It has dimples all over it that they claim will make it quieter. I don't know how, but it is in fact much quieter that other lines and it seems to last forever.
  6. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Stihl .095, we use stihl 85 trimmers so .095 works well for us
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the Stihl .095 as well. I always use the green color. It blends with the grass so you don't see some neon color laying around.
  8. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried most of these and like the Shindaiwa .105 round line.
  9. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I'm like you hoss it blends in well with grass, my guys swear up and down that it last longer than orange but dealer said their was no differance but i perfer green anyways.
  10. Square green .095 from Lesco.

Like Hoss and Gunner blends in the grass.