Trimmer Line

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Splashn93, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing last long on a chain link fence

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

While I don't doubt what you're saying (I think)... where on earth did you figure that out?

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

ditto....a spool of this stuff will last forever.....best line I've ever used and I've used most all of them over the years

4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been told by a dealer about the water trick. Supposed to keep it less brittle.
    Best line we have found is the Ultra Twist made by Shakespeare. Love that stuff! Quiet and less wind resistance. It is amazing how much quieter it is!!

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

my local dealer told me that...he said try it for one season and if don't work i'll buy you the next spoil............well he was right and i still have the same spoil.i usually go threw one every season...it's been 2 years............

6. WoodChucker

WoodChucker LawnSite Member

:)

If you are frugal,...
    go to Lowes and get the $19 Arnold precut string head.
    It fits almost anything, and will work with .080 to .105 round or square line.
    The same unit with a different name can cost twice as much elsewhere.

Keep your precut line stored in a jug of water or make up (with PVC solvent cement) a carrier from 2" PVC plumbing pipe with a screw in plug in the top.

Somehow, soaking in water for a few days makes the line work better and last a lot longer.

You will use half as much line this way, compared to a bump feed which wastes a lot of line every time you bump it.

That also means that you will save a bunch of $$$ !

:usflag:

7. WoodChucker

WoodChucker LawnSite Member

:)

When I said "precut" I should have said precut by me!

For less than $35, I can get a 3# (840ft) spool of Husqy .095 spiral titanium line.
    I slide the end of the line into a length guage (a small length of 1/2" PVC plastic schedule 40 water pipe) and then clip it off at the edge of the tube with a pair of "dikes" (electricians side cutter pliers).

For the Swisher string mower, I get a 1# spool of >.155 Oregon aramid core square line, and do the same process using a PVC tube guage cut for that length.

If I could afford to buy those cute little tubes of store bought precut line, I would not be working this hard!

:usflag: :)

8. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

echo rapid fire line is def. the best out there.

9. lawn1234

lawn1234 LawnSite Member

Husquavarna titanium line 0.95.

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Echo Line .105