Trimmer Line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnbridge, Jun 5, 2008.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

What Kind Of Trimmer Line Do You Guys Think Holds Up The Best. I Have A Stihl Fs 90 And I Use The Stihl Line .90. Any Out There Better?

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i use the stihl .105. its a green line w/ a star/diamond shape. cuts ANYTHING great all around line for lawns and cleanups. its durable, cuts good, and doesnt crack when left out in the sun.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use that plastic stuff on a big roll, I buy it by selectively shopping and calculating the price per pound, then when I find the cheapest that's the one I use lol... Just so happens to be .080 round, I got a few spools of the stuff, paid I think $4-$5 a pound for it... Spent probably 40 or 50 bucks, and I've got trimmer line for life.

So shop around, a 3 lb. spool lasts me 3-4 years, at least.
    I dare say if you find a 5 lb. spool that probably last you at least 5-6 years.
    They come in these barrel looking things.

They're not cheap, a 5 lb'er tends to be like 30 bucks, but if you shop around, I found mine for 20-25 in comparison.

I bought 3 or 4 of those 3 lb'ers...
    Didn't think they'd last that long :p
    I just finished the first one over a year ago, then I found a smaller thing of some kind of square stuff laying around...
    Been using that and still got some, two or three spools of the 080 too lol.

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

There are 3 or 4 active post about trimmer line currently try the search feature but as far as line everyone has a different preference Ilike the square gator from oregon and the red wal mart line both .95

5. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I run the Stihl .130 The black line. Pull it out once and your DONE!!!