1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gwoods, Feb 13, 2004.

1. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

i'm running a stihl fs85 with .105 line, i have been using a blue twisted line but it breaks easy. what kind of line do you recommend?
  2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I use the orange stuff that home depot sells on the bit spools on my fs85 - cuts great, doesn't break too often and cost is right
  3. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I Like gator line and kawasaki pro cut (or something like that) .095 both are good
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

check your spool. sometimes there is a rough spot that is causing the line to break sooner than what it is supose to. after that experiment with other brands. I like the orange husky .095 line, It lasts along time for non particular areas. for areas that really need to look good I like the titanium silver brand from husky.
  5. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I run .095" Redmax and Gator Magnum in my Redmax trimmers with good results. The Gator Magnum is square, cuts cleanly and lasts a long time. Any momofilament line will deterioate from UV rays, so don't leave the spool exposed on your trailer all the time.
  6. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Ditto. phenomenal product...make sure its the magnum version though
  7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I will use just about anything except Echo brand line. I mostly use the brand Home Depot sells, not sure the name but it suits me fine. I bought the Echo line once expecting better results (not that the other was bad, just figured Echo would be better) and was not happy.
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now I'm using a bunch of string that someone gave me! But after all of it is out I usually order a lot of it off of the internet somewhere. Last time from J. Thomas.