Trimmer Lines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkru, Feb 6, 2001.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We are getting ready to order our spools for the season so I did a search on Trimmer Line and didnt find much so I was wondering what the majority of us were using for trimmer line?? Does any particular shape (round/star/hexagon/etc)work more effectively than another??

Thanks for the input.
    Kris

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We use Echo Cross Fire .105 String. It has 8 edges on it and does a great job of cutting.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-06-2001 at 01:13 PM]

3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I used the multi edged trimmer line for several years and noticed a definite improvement in it's cutting ability. The drawback I found was that it wears down much faster (due to fences, bricks, etc.) and you wind up replacing spools much more often. I'm back to the round line now.

4. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

We use Cross Fire too. It's the best nylon string in my opinion. I bought some titanium based string yesterday that has segments about a 1/2" long that are supposed to break away if you hit something like a chain-linked fence instead of grabbing and pulling out a bunch of line. I let you know how it works in a couple of days. My dealer says it should last about 3 times longer than nylon and its only about $2 more per spool.

5. Guest

We have switched around a lot during the last year and ECHO's CrossFire seems to cut the best. We also use fixed line trimmer heads, for what its worth.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I never cared much for the star or hex shaped lines. The ends just don't seem to cut as precise. A round string of .095 is what I recommend. .105 is just to blunt. It doesn't have that real clean, crisp feeling that helps you go faster from getting a cleaner cut faster. I know that .105 is alot heavier too, and when you run a little longer string, it really affects the power.

7. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

We use .095 also. 105 seems to be heavy.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

So far echo crossfire seems to be the way to go. Guess i'll have to check into it.

Thanks to those who have responded thus far.
    Kris

9. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

What type of line matters little as long as an Echo is spinning it.
    G. William Lamar

10. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I use a round line I got from Mowmor, at bargain last year it work just fine, and I got a whole(24) case for just $10 dollars a 3# spool so guess I'll be using it for a while