1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, Dec 5, 2004.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

I have a Shind. T230 and a T270. Is it necessary to grease the shaft? If so, how and how often? What type of grease? Also, how about greasing the head?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No do not grease the shaft,yes grease the head shin sells grease in a 40z pack myself i put a grease fitting on the head red grease works.take the trimmer head off take the spacer out grease the head if you leave it on it will build up pressure and blow the seals out.hope this helps
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The grease actually moves out of the head into the shaft. I have had a few Shindy trimmers and have greased them before.

I have had Shindy trimmers that I have greased and some that I didn't. I saw no difference in how long the head lasts. Unless you're seeing grease seep out somewhere it's a safe bet that the grease is still in the head.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

on the side of the head there is a bolt. we tap all ours and install a zert fitting and pump grease in a few times per year.

I have run them for years with out greaseing the heads,But new grease will help,Grease the head my 2 cents.I went to redmax this season we have been greasing the heads 3 times a season.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is a good idea, would have never thought of that

Redmax has a grease fitting all ready installed.
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The only problem with the idea is that you can't tell how much grease you are getting in the gear box. Too much grease in there can cause the seals to blow out. That's why the manufacturer didn't install a grease zerk.
  9. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

This is why it says in the owners manual to take the head off and remove the bushing then start pumping gease into it untill you see new grease coming out of the space where the bushing was,3 times a season or so .
  10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you greasing the redmax's so often?

Personally if I was you I would just do it on those rainy days when there is nothing better to do. Take the head off and do it like that so you don't risk blowing the seals. I've had enough experience with seals.