trimmer operation speed....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sdm1976, Jun 15, 2007.

1. sdm1976

sdm1976 LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and have never owned any commercial equipemnt until now. This question may have been kicked around a hundred times and could be a worn out topic,but do you have to run a trimmer at full throttle to increase the life of the engine? I have heard to run it full tilt or it will foul the plug. thanks for any info
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

They are made to run at full throttle, but running at such a high speed is silly most of the time. I tend to run mine at about half throttle in most situations. Sometimes I run at full throttle if there is a decent sized area of grass that was unable to be reached with a mower.
  3. johndeerefan

johndeerefan LawnSite Member

yep same with me
  4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. My Redmax is going on its 4th season. Don't worry about it.
  5. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Anywhere there is a possiblility to throw stones or damage something I keep it low. Otherwise, full speed ahead.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Only use enough throttle to get the job done. Saves gas and trimmer line. I run it at wot when I need to but usually half throttle does it.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I also run mine at around half-throttle. Trimmer line is so far advanced in design, it cuts easily without needing tremendous speed.

One thing, though. Running two-stroke equipment half-throttle tends to cause carbon build-up in the exhaust port over time. During the off season, pull the muffler and gently scrape out the carbon in the exhaust port. This will keep your muffler from getting "stuck" to the block and keep that exhaust port clean. Believe me from experience, when that exhaust port starts to clog up from carbon, you'll be wondering what in the world is killing all my power? :hammerhead:
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I only use enough RPM to get the job done. If it fouls a plug I don't care. I'd rather not accidentially slip and burn the grass to the ground. That and I buy spark plugs on eBay. 25 CJ-8 plugs for $20 shipped. I'm still working through the bag of plugs I bought 3 years ago. I think there's somewhere around 20 plugs still in the bag.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Balls to the walls.
  10. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

The echo rep told me that it needs to be run full throttle since this is what cools the engine. I run full throttle most of the time and my trimmer is 8 years old without any problems.