Trimmer Operation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brad, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

Greetings. Looking for some help with proper trimmer operation. Recently purchased a new straight shaft trimmer and am having a bit of a problem getting good results. I am where the trouble lies, undoubtedly, as the machine works fine. <p>Could someone give me the proper holding and operating procedure for this unit. As I look down on the trimmer head, it is turning clockwise. When I use it I occasionally cut too far into the yard, when I am standing on the paved surface. I hold the power unit in my right hand, using my left to maneuver and position the head. I tilt the outside up a bit, and walk from right to left, standing on the sidewalk. This feels real awkward when I walk, and seem to be very un-steady while moving, which is multiplied at the end of the unit, bouncing it around enough to make jagged and gouged results.<p>Thanks for any info!<p>Brad
  2. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

you sound ok It just takes time.<br>Let the trimmer do the work. Work with it, not against it.
  3. crew

crew LawnSite Member

The only advice i have is at the expense of your trimmer head.Use the head as your guide-rest it on the hard surface(curb,drive,etc)and change the angle to what you want and go.<br>Strangely I have had at least four different brands and models of trimmers and they all spin counterclockwise. Are you south of the equator?
  4. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

First, let me guess. It's a HomeLite Trimmer? Only trimmer I've seen that turns clockwise. Everyone is different but I usually stand on the grass, away from the object(s) I'm trimming around. Let the end of the trimmer string do the cutting, faster and sharper look. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  5. lawnsurfer

lawnsurfer LawnSite Member

It sounds to me like you are walking backwards(right to left)I guess the rotation of the machine dictates that you do.Like the others said it takes a little while to get a feel for the trimmer,a light touch is better. I think it is probably one of the most difficult and tedious parts of the job, but makes all the difference in the finished look. Be careful next to objects such as trees and wood posts. It is best to have a set route that you follow on each lawn to ensure you trim everything and save time. Hope this helps.
  6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me like all the problem lies in the machine specs. Are you sure it is spinning clockwise? If so then ther elies your problem. Most people i know walk from left to right with the left of your body twords the edge you wish to cut. BUT, if the machine is spinnin clockwise then that normal method wouldnt really work unless you are great at it. Do you have your guard on still. When i take mine off i feel like i can see the string edge better and can maneuver it better because of it. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ON EYE PROTECTION THOUGH! Also, what kind of head is on there. I personally have gotten poor control and performance out of them &quot;brain&quot; jobbers. You cant properly contour to the lawn with that bulbous head on there. I recently purchased a pro head. Not sure what the name is, but it is all metal and about half inch high and 4 inches diameter. You load the string one piece at a time, but you wont waste as much and you can realy &quot;feel&quot; the lawn better. Hope my ramblin gives ya food for thought.<p>BUT, like Dennis Miller says &quot;Hey, thats just my opinion and i could be wrong.&quot;
  7. Brad

Brad LawnSite Member

Well, it's a top of the line trimmer, right off the shelf at Sears! Made by Poulan, I think. I'll try without the sheild. I did try standing on the grass, going left to right, and that looks pretty good, but throws the debris right up on my cute little legs! Can't have that. Might stain, and I'll look like I have a fungus or something!!<p>Thanks for all the input. It certainly is appreciated.<p>Brad

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

The problem lies with the way you are holding it. Your left hand should be the guide hand and the right the the trigger hand. You should walk from left to right. Now if you are using a commercial trimmer that rotates counterclockwise, all will be reversed and you will need to use your right hand as the guide and your left as the trigger, you will also need to walk from right to left. The reason for the walking direction is that if you walk the wrong way the trimmer clippings will shoot into the flower beds instead of back at you and onto the lawn like they should. If you don't hold the trimmer in the right method and walk in the right direction you will never be a good trimmer. I'd say only 20% of lawn people are using a trimmer in the proper method based on my observations.
  9. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what Mr.Plow said.
  10. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

That 'top of the line - off Sear's shelf&quot; trimmer is the problem. Most all good commercial trimmers spin counter clockwise.<br> With a couneterclockwise rotation you can walk forward on the pavement with the handle in your left hand and the trigger in your right.<br> If you love your Poulan learn to walk (or hold the trimmer) backwards.