trimmer opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hboyd_com, Feb 26, 2003.

1. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'd like to get opinions on trimmers. I'm looking at Echo, split shaft, straight shaft trimmers, with the idea of using different heads on it in the future, i.e., hedge trimmer, pruner, brush etc depending on what I need to do.

I had a Stihl in the past and it was a fairly good machine as well... although I think I could have used a bigger unit.

Anyway, does it simply come down to which one has the better dealer/service center?..... or is there a fundamental design issue that I should be aware of.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl as been a good trimmer for me the last 10 years. I will buy nothing smaller than a FS 85
  3. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

I use Echo only and thay are great trimmers. I don't know about stihl but I've heard they are good as well. As for the split shaft, don't do it. Spend the extra dough and get separate units. The split shaft, even on a commercial unit will cause problems. And, it takes valuable time to switch attachments.
  4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Ditto on the Stihl FS85, never a complaint with power, strength, and durability. It is a very well engineered piece of equipment.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Have used ECHO since I started the business. I use the 2600 series with the Split Boom, attachments are string trimmer, broom and articulating hedge clipper.. have only had one problem and that was a broken cable (lifetime warranty). Recommend the PAS 260, it is easy to change attachments once you get use to it.
    Had a Stihl straight shaft (homeowner unit), gave it to my son in law, he is still using it (without problems). Main reason for using ECHO is because that is the commercial line my dealer handles.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a Stihl FS85 with 5 attachments including the trimer head (I've never used the trimmr head). I only use this tool for special purposes. I'd stick to a dedicated trimmer for trimming. I've only had one Echo tool, it was a hedge trimmer, I hated it.
  7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I currently use the echo but am going to change to redmax this season. The echo's just don't last for me. I getting tired of replacing them season after season.
  8. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Out of all the different handheld stuff I've used, I didn't really have a favorite. They were all good(Echo,Stihl,Shindaiwa). Anymore 2cycle purchases, for me, will be based on dealer support. This means, in my area, Echo will get my $. Also, have a Echo split boom unit and it works great! Will be buying another this summer. Trying to get 2 of everything.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We use echo split booms exclusively. Great machines, and they take a beating. I can't comment on stihl, all of the dealers around here carry stihl chainsaws, not trimmers. :cool: