Trimmer Preference

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell36, May 17, 2008.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

what trimmers do you use?

i've always used shindaiwa but am having bad luck (have to choke them at EVERY job, takes about 30 seconds to start) with their newer trimmers and blowers (T242 and EB240s)...i've heard good things about stihl and redmax...any others/suggestions?

just for example, i've had john deere blowers in the past and they start every time on the first pull, shindaiwas take for ******* ever and it's starting to piss me off...they are good machines when you finally get them started but you have to get them started first...i need something that starts on the first pull and i want to keep the blowers and trimmers the same brand...

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i run a shindaiwa t230, and i know what your talking about. it takes me 2 -5 pulls and i have to set the choke also. but nothing beats the t230, so with that being said, id rather pull a rope 3 more times and get 3x's as much power and lightness!!!

ive heard good things about stihl and redmax. go check 'em out at your local dealer.

3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I am partial to echos, I like the 210's for light duty trimming and keep a 260 anything else.

4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

See you guys are stuck looking up the wrong tree. Go with KAW light fast and powerful now i wouldnt buy a backpack from them but a trimmer heck yes and hedge trimmers too.

5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Yep, find your local Kawasaki dealer and check out their trimmers......

6. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

Part of the problem with all of the manufacturers newer stuff is the EPA regulations, they are having to run them very lean to meet emission requirements, and they are having problems with combustion due to the ethanol in todays fuel. If you own or have access to older style "dirty" machines, they do not have these issues.

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i love my stihl, but have great service out of redmax too. my preferred dealer only sells stihl, so i stay w/ stihl.

8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I don't mean to give suggestion to a pro......but I really have good luck start a difficult engine. I have Echo HC151 that was soooooo hard to start, I don't know how many times I flooded it, it was an exercise to start.

Now my way of starting ALL my stuff is: Prime the bulb HARD 10 times, close the choke and pull until start, open the choke as fast as I can the moment it started. I am now averaging 3 to4 pull on the Echo everytime, one pull on both my Honda engines......Shindaiwa C4 blower......still 4 to 6 pulls!!!

I never have to leave choke on after it started, can't say anything about this. As I stated, I am not trying to tell a pro how to start an engine, just I have been experimenting for a while and I really have good luck for the last 2 months. All the new stuff are hard to start!!!:waving:

9. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

Stay away from Stihl they are going to the dogs!!!! But yes dealers DO make a difference. The stihl dealer I have in my area is a complete A-- so I now use a kAW trimmer and so far it is working fine, much lighter than the Stihl and easier to start.

10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Watch what you are saying. You want to be gang attack??!!! Or you think I soften them up enough already!!!!!:laughing::laughing:

Good for you, keep it up!!! I don't think it is fare for some people to gang up and use intimadation to prevent others to say bad things about certain brand of equipment. IT IS ONLY EQUIPMENT, for cry out loud!!!! It is not as if we are personal attacking them.

As I have said already, if someone say anything bad about Echo, Redmax or Honda, nobody will gang up and get personal and start gang attacking. They are the only one and should not be tolorated here. We are all here to learn and to have fun.

Tweedledee!!!