trimmer problem (T-270)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, May 17, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried everything to this trimmer and only have a few more things that could be wrong. The trimmer bogs down when you let out too much string. Things i have done to it include. Checked spark plug checked muffler hole for carbon, it was clean, replaced carb- no difference, changed the head (not the string holder the red thing that has bearings in it)- still bogs down. The trimmer seems to turn harder when i turn it by hand compared to the other same trimmer. The other thing is this trimmer always ends up upside down on the trimmer rack and gas is always spewing out of it in different places or just looks like it. What else can i do to this thing. I dont know to much about trimmer repair. Maybe a new clutch a new shaft?
    Thanks for your help.

Bedros

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Did you pull the muffler off and clean out the exhaust port? This is what it sounds like to me. Carbon can build up until you have hardly any room for the exhaust to come out and will cut down on power big time. I hope this fixes it. :)

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

nope you answered it yourself...you have too much string out..mine does the same thing.guys at the shop always tell me when i buy new to keep the string at 6 inches or shorter..or try using a thinner string..thinner lets you use longer string without all the boggin.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

No kiddin, I see guys with a foot of line hanging out of each side of there trimmer and they are lucky to cut anything :)

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new T270 (finally) and I used it for about 10 min. and then took the guard off! I couldn't stand it with the guard on there. Anyway, how much string do you have let out? If you're running something like .130 then you're definately in for some trouble with a lot of line out.

6. bdemir

No i did already check the carbon in the muffler thingie and the string is able to come out long because my other one does it just fine. This one did too until one day it stopped. I think i got dirt trapped up in the shaft somewhere. It turns really stiff compared to the other one. There is definatly something slowing it down and even my workers say it bogs down when they let out too much string. This is normal for us we never had a problem bfore with letting out too much string. I always wip with long stirng thats just how i do it here in michigan where the grass a little different. The other identical trimmer does just fine with the same amount of line.

Bedros

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You will have mechanical problems in the future with too much string. (You even said in your post that it was too much string)

8. bdemir

I said too much string but i dont think its too much. I see alot of people using a little longer string than normal. Thats regular for me but i will take the advice and use shorter stringg.

BEdros

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

What I am talking about isn't in the muffler. The exhaust port is where the exhaust comes from and goes into the muffler. There is a gasket in between the muffler and the port. This is where you will get build up.

10. bdemir

Eric,

Thanks. I know which one your talking about. I used to clean them out now i use amsoil and theres never any buildup. Thanks again.

Bedros