Trimmer problems, what should be done?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, May 22, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My trusty Stihl FS85 has got a new problem as of tonight. Seems like the metal clutches have locked up. I just bought a new FS80 that has already had a new carb put on and doesn't seem to still be right. I can't afford to have the 85 in the shop for 4 or 5 days. What should I do?

What is the gas/oil mixture on the Shindawia's and redmax's? What do you guys with Honda's think of yours?

Unfortunately, I need to do something tomorrow. I can't be down to 1 trimmer at 80%. Due to rain, we are already 1.5 days behind.

Eric

2. jnmaney

jnmaney LawnSite Member

We have a great dealer in town that in such a situation he would loan us one to use while other was in repair

3. linky

linky LawnSite Member

See if you can find a repair shop that has a loaner. Maybe you could barrow one. The fuel mixture on Shindaiwa's was 40-1 but my dealer says that the factory said to use 50-1. I still use 40-1 that what the owners manual says. I just purchased a shin. t-230 and i'm very pleased with it.

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I think when I mix 1 Shind. oil with 2.5 gals. it works out to 40:1.......that's the ratio on the back of the bottle (I think)

5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I run our t-230's a little more rich probably then we should but i would rather be safe than sorry these things are screamin all day long. We are very pleased with our shin equipment very powerful and always starts first pull!!

:blob3:

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have both shind. and echos, i love the echos and the crew loves the shind. run 50/1 in both of them, i woukld recommened either of them, also you never know you might buy 1 for now and use it all summer an let the stihl be the back-up. good luck to you hoss

7. :angel: Never have to pull more than twice for my shins. I been using 230's for the last, well let's just say more than 4 years. I had one last me over 3 years of all year and almost daily use with 1 carb replacment and 1 shaft. Once you start have to replace certain parts, just cheaper to buy a new one.

Dad uses harsquvana's and he likes them,but the help hates them. They like my shin better
    John

8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We run about 32:1 to 40:1 (Amsoil) in our Homelites, our Shin. T270 and our Stihl 011 AVT chainsaw. I wouldn't buy any other brand of chainsaw except for Stihl, but I used a Stihl FS44 one time, and I didn't like it.

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i mix 6.oz to 2 1/2 gallons..my t230's run great

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Well here is the deal. It was only a clutch spring that broke. $3 part. I didn't expect them to fix it for a couple of days, but 4 hours after I dropped it off, they call. Its finished. Cool. While I was there I bought another FS85. Needed another one anyway, and other than a few carbs that were bad, I love the power and feel. So, the dealer and stihl made me happy again.