Trimmer problems, what should be done?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, May 22, 2001.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My trusty Stihl FS85 has got a new problem as of tonight. Seems like the metal clutches have locked up. I just bought a new FS80 that has already had a new carb put on and doesn't seem to still be right. I can't afford to have the 85 in the shop for 4 or 5 days. What should I do?

What is the gas/oil mixture on the Shindawia's and redmax's? What do you guys with Honda's think of yours?

Unfortunately, I need to do something tomorrow. I can't be down to 1 trimmer at 80%. Due to rain, we are already 1.5 days behind.

2. jnmaney

jnmaney LawnSite Member

We have a great dealer in town that in such a situation he would loan us one to use while other was in repair
  3. linky

linky LawnSite Member

See if you can find a repair shop that has a loaner. Maybe you could barrow one. The fuel mixture on Shindaiwa's was 40-1 but my dealer says that the factory said to use 50-1. I still use 40-1 that what the owners manual says. I just purchased a shin. t-230 and i'm very pleased with it.
  4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I think when I mix 1 Shind. oil with 2.5 gals. it works out to 40:1.......that's the ratio on the back of the bottle (I think)
  5. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I run our t-230's a little more rich probably then we should but i would rather be safe than sorry these things are screamin all day long. We are very pleased with our shin equipment very powerful and always starts first pull!!

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have both shind. and echos, i love the echos and the crew loves the shind. run 50/1 in both of them, i woukld recommened either of them, also you never know you might buy 1 for now and use it all summer an let the stihl be the back-up. good luck to you hoss
  7. :angel: Never have to pull more than twice for my shins. I been using 230's for the last, well let's just say more than 4 years. I had one last me over 3 years of all year and almost daily use with 1 carb replacment and 1 shaft. Once you start have to replace certain parts, just cheaper to buy a new one.

Dad uses harsquvana's and he likes them,but the help hates them. They like my shin better
  8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We run about 32:1 to 40:1 (Amsoil) in our Homelites, our Shin. T270 and our Stihl 011 AVT chainsaw. I wouldn't buy any other brand of chainsaw except for Stihl, but I used a Stihl FS44 one time, and I didn't like it.
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i mix 6.oz to 2 1/2 t230's run great
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Well here is the deal. It was only a clutch spring that broke. $3 part. I didn't expect them to fix it for a couple of days, but 4 hours after I dropped it off, they call. Its finished. Cool. While I was there I bought another FS85. Needed another one anyway, and other than a few carbs that were bad, I love the power and feel. So, the dealer and stihl made me happy again.