Trimmer Q&A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zito, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Zito

Zito LawnSite Member

I learned of LawnSite through a friend and I'm thrilled to see all this info. I've spent the better part of a week reading through all the old stuff, and I have learned a ton. This is to be my first season in the lawn business, and I just got a 36" Ferris hydro, and I hope to purchase a Grasshopper from the old guy next door when he retires at the end of this year. I have searched, but can't find a specific answer to my question, which is this: I can get an Echo SRM 260s for $299 or a Shindaiwa T231 for the same price. Which is the better deal? Thanks, and I look forward to learning more from you landscaping vetrans.

2. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I'd go with echo, but I've never used shindaiwia anything before.
    I like echo and redmax string trimmers, redmax backpacks, husquvarna chainsaws, echo hedge trimmers, little wonder push blowers, scag and exmark mowers.

3. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa or stihl is the only way to go. we have used echo and was not happy with that product, did not last long at all....

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Welcome zito! I only buy Shind. (until they give me a reason not to) but never held an Echo, so can't comment on that.

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use Echo, but am planning on switching to something else. Probably shindiawa. I am pretty unsatisfied with my last Echo purchase. Since the day it was brand new, it has taken an average of three pulls to get it running. Sometimes less sometimes more. Ususally five or six when its cold.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa t-230 I have had one for a while and it's great. You can't go wrong with shindy.

7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a echo 2100 and a Shindawia 261, not a great comparrison but I prefer the shin. Only reason I keep the Echo is cause its a split boom with several attachments. If I would have to buy new I would go with the shin. JMHO Marc

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The answer is: Which dealer will give better service. If the same dealer sells both brands, you're on your own.

9. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

That's what I love about Shindaiwa. Never had to take one to get serviced.

10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used any Shindaiwa products. So I cant speak for them. But I use, and own alot of Echo products and have been happy with all of them. THe Echo Srm260 is a good trimmer and you will be happy with it. You probably cant go wrong with either brand though. I have read nothing but good things about Shin.